Mar 27, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes couldn’t find a taker for Jussi Jokinen‘s $3 million annual cap hit through the 2013-14 campaign.
The fact that Jokinen has cleared underscores how much his stock has fallen. The 29-year-old forward has just 10 points this season and has dropped in the Hurricanes’ depth charts due to the additions of Jordan Staal and Alexander Semin and the rise of Riley Nash.
This is also a bit of a problem for the Hurricanes, who put themselves in a difficult cap position by inking Semin to a five-year, $35 million extension.
The Hurricanes currently have $58,202,500 committed to 17 players in 2013-14, according to Cap Geek, which gives them a little more than $6 million worth of space to round out their roster.
For now, Jokinen is expected to remain on the Hurricanes’ roster rather than be sent to the minors. They might still manage to trade him either before the April 3 deadline or over the summer. If not, they might opt to buy out his contract.
As for Daugavins, the Bruins are getting an inexpensive bottom-six forward who has 14 points in 85 career games. Boston fans probably know him best for his bold shootout attempt against goaltender Tuukka Rask on March 11:
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)