Mar 27, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes couldn’t find a taker for Jussi Jokinen‘s $3 million annual cap hit through the 2013-14 campaign.
The fact that Jokinen has cleared underscores how much his stock has fallen. The 29-year-old forward has just 10 points this season and has dropped in the Hurricanes’ depth charts due to the additions of Jordan Staal and Alexander Semin and the rise of Riley Nash.
This is also a bit of a problem for the Hurricanes, who put themselves in a difficult cap position by inking Semin to a five-year, $35 million extension.
The Hurricanes currently have $58,202,500 committed to 17 players in 2013-14, according to Cap Geek, which gives them a little more than $6 million worth of space to round out their roster.
For now, Jokinen is expected to remain on the Hurricanes’ roster rather than be sent to the minors. They might still manage to trade him either before the April 3 deadline or over the summer. If not, they might opt to buy out his contract.
As for Daugavins, the Bruins are getting an inexpensive bottom-six forward who has 14 points in 85 career games. Boston fans probably know him best for his bold shootout attempt against goaltender Tuukka Rask on March 11:
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 13
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 3
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 96
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)