Mar 26, 2013, 9:33 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins have augmented their roster with two substantial trades, but now they might need to wonder about their situation in net after Marc-Andre Fleury was hurt thanks to this collision:
As you can see from the video, Brian Gionta pushed Tyler Kennedy into Fleury. It wasn’t the usual high-speed blow that often beguiles netminders; instead, it seemed like the 28-year-old took an awkward spill.
Tomas Vokoun spelled Fleury in the third period.
The Penguins made a significant investment in the 36-year-old as a $2 million-per-year backup. If Fleury is seriously hurt, they’ll need the Czech-born goalie to come up big … unless Ray Shero has even more up his sleeves.
(H/T to SBNation.)
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)