Mar 26, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Going into Tuesday’s game against the Toronto Maple Leafs, Milan Lucic had gone 15 straight games without a goal. That’s a huge cold streak for one of the Boston Bruins’ most valuable forwards.
“It was starting to get really frustrating going as long as I did without a goal,” said Lucic in a Boston Herald report.
The 24-year-old scored 56 goals over his previous two campaigns, but had just four goals and 17 points in 29 contests this season when the Bruins knocked him down to the third line during Sunday’s practice.
“You try so many different things,” said Lucic. “You start pushing and pushing, and when things don’t work you start second-guessing yourself. . . . You try not to be frustrated. You try not to let your frustrations weigh on your teammates. You try to remain positive.
“It was definitely coming to a point where that was hard to do.”
Well, that slump is over now. With his team down 2-0 midway through the second period, Lucic showed off his speed and then beat Leafs goaltender James Reimer one-on-one.
You can watch Lucic’s goal below:
That goal marked a turning point in Monday’s game. Boston went on to earn a 3-2 shootout victory over Toronto.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
Updated with GM Craig MacTavish’s comments.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT
Buffalo was fearing a broken jaw, which would be even worse.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
It looks like the transition from Charles Wang’s ownership will ramp up soon.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT
What a difference injuries and a nearing regular season makes …
Sep 30, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
He says the “progress has been really good.”
Sep 30, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT
Will this be another season to forget for Toronto?
Sep 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Called him “the best defenseman on the ice.”
Sep 30, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
Buffalo trims training camp roster to 30.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We’ve got three games left here, so we really need to finalize what we’re going to do.”
Sep 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Both off to AHL Texas.
Sep 30, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
“You don’t pay attention to that kind of stuff.”
Sep 30, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
“I’m not naive, I know as the season goes on it’ll become more of a talking point.”
Sep 30, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
D-man was likely headed to AHL Utica.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Looks like both have avoided serious damage.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
And they open at home on Oct. 10.
Sep 30, 2014, 12:49 PM EDT
So says Lindy Ruff.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
Flyers captain will make preseason debut at Wells Fargo.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT
Could either catch on with another team?
Sep 30, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
Another draft bust leaves the organization.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
Defending Eastern Conference champs had some major turnover this summer.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 2
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 11
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)