Mar 26, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Going into Tuesday’s game against the Toronto Maple Leafs, Milan Lucic had gone 15 straight games without a goal. That’s a huge cold streak for one of the Boston Bruins’ most valuable forwards.
“It was starting to get really frustrating going as long as I did without a goal,” said Lucic in a Boston Herald report.
The 24-year-old scored 56 goals over his previous two campaigns, but had just four goals and 17 points in 29 contests this season when the Bruins knocked him down to the third line during Sunday’s practice.
“You try so many different things,” said Lucic. “You start pushing and pushing, and when things don’t work you start second-guessing yourself. . . . You try not to be frustrated. You try not to let your frustrations weigh on your teammates. You try to remain positive.
“It was definitely coming to a point where that was hard to do.”
Well, that slump is over now. With his team down 2-0 midway through the second period, Lucic showed off his speed and then beat Leafs goaltender James Reimer one-on-one.
You can watch Lucic’s goal below:
That goal marked a turning point in Monday’s game. Boston went on to earn a 3-2 shootout victory over Toronto.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)