Mar 26, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Going into Tuesday’s game against the Toronto Maple Leafs, Milan Lucic had gone 15 straight games without a goal. That’s a huge cold streak for one of the Boston Bruins’ most valuable forwards.
“It was starting to get really frustrating going as long as I did without a goal,” said Lucic in a Boston Herald report.
The 24-year-old scored 56 goals over his previous two campaigns, but had just four goals and 17 points in 29 contests this season when the Bruins knocked him down to the third line during Sunday’s practice.
“You try so many different things,” said Lucic. “You start pushing and pushing, and when things don’t work you start second-guessing yourself. . . . You try not to be frustrated. You try not to let your frustrations weigh on your teammates. You try to remain positive.
“It was definitely coming to a point where that was hard to do.”
Well, that slump is over now. With his team down 2-0 midway through the second period, Lucic showed off his speed and then beat Leafs goaltender James Reimer one-on-one.
You can watch Lucic’s goal below:
That goal marked a turning point in Monday’s game. Boston went on to earn a 3-2 shootout victory over Toronto.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)