Trade Bait: Ryan Whitney

Mar 26, 2013, 11:15 PM EST

Ryan Whitney Getty Images

The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.

Earlier this season, the Edmonton Oilers’ chances of trading offensive defenseman Ryan Whitney were probably slim-to-none. About a month ago, that still seemed to be the case.

It was pretty hard to comprehend a $4 million defenseman not being able to even make the lineup on a team that’s not even an obvious contender. Whitney admitted it several weeks ago, too.

“They’re paying me a lot of money and I’m not playing,” Whitney said.

The 30-year-old has made a better case for himself lately, even though he’s still an occasional healthy scratch for Edmonton. Whitney has scored five of his 10 points in the last six games, strengthening the argument that he can be a useful offensive threat.

Whitney told the Edmonton Journal that he was surprised by his latest scratch on Monday and he also understands that he might be auditioning for a new team starting tonight.

“Me being scratched last game probably means something, but I’m here and I want to play as well as I can for the team and myself,” Whitney said. “In their minds, I’m battling for that sixth spot and doing what I can. Hopefully, that changes here or somewhere else. I’d like to be confident I’ll play a lot wherever I am. We’ll see.”

Since signing his soon-to-expire six-year, $24 million deal with the Pittsburgh Penguins, he’s already been traded two times, so it’s not outrageous to wonder if it will happen again.

There haven’t been too many strong rumblings about potential suitors, however.

Latest Posts
  1. Kings defeat Habs in shootout to tighten up West playoff race

Mar 6, 2015, 1:36 AM EST

Marian Gaborik, Drew Doughty AP

Minnesota, Calgary and L.A. all win on Thursday.

2. Predators’ losing streak hits five games

Mar 5, 2015, 11:02 PM EST

Pekka Rinne, Michael Grabner AP

Brock Nelson scored the winner.

3. Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated)

Mar 5, 2015, 7:13 PM EST

Mike Ribeiro Mike Ribeiro

“At the same time, Mike will maintain his focus on doing all he can to help Nashville win its first-ever Stanley Cup.”

4. Ovechkin (lower body) to miss first game of the season tonight

Mar 5, 2015, 6:47 PM EST

Washington Capitals v New York Islanders Getty Images

Won’t suit up when the Caps take on Minnesota.

5. Bruins sign former WHL captain Justin Hickman

Mar 5, 2015, 5:27 PM EST

Seattle Thunderbirds v Kelowna Rockets Getty Images

Big forward who doesn’t mind dropping the gloves.

6. (Video) PHT Extra: Why would Babcock leave the Wings now?

Mar 5, 2015, 4:26 PM EST

Mike Babcock Mike Babcock

He recently called them the “best group I’ve had since ’09.”

7. Preds ‘out for a little revenge’ versus Isles

Mar 5, 2015, 3:00 PM EST

Taylor Beck, Anders Lee, Josh Bailey AP

Nashville’s won just two of its last eight.

8. Edler, Burrows, and Kassian expected back for Canucks, who ‘better be’ ready for Coyotes

Mar 5, 2015, 2:05 PM EST

AlexEdler Getty Images

“We only have 19 games left and we have to be winning and getting points.”

Is there an issue with Babcock in Detroit?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches