Trade Bait: Ryan Whitney

Mar 26, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT

Ryan Whitney Getty Images

The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.

Earlier this season, the Edmonton Oilers’ chances of trading offensive defenseman Ryan Whitney were probably slim-to-none. About a month ago, that still seemed to be the case.

It was pretty hard to comprehend a $4 million defenseman not being able to even make the lineup on a team that’s not even an obvious contender. Whitney admitted it several weeks ago, too.

“They’re paying me a lot of money and I’m not playing,” Whitney said.

The 30-year-old has made a better case for himself lately, even though he’s still an occasional healthy scratch for Edmonton. Whitney has scored five of his 10 points in the last six games, strengthening the argument that he can be a useful offensive threat.

Whitney told the Edmonton Journal that he was surprised by his latest scratch on Monday and he also understands that he might be auditioning for a new team starting tonight.

“Me being scratched last game probably means something, but I’m here and I want to play as well as I can for the team and myself,” Whitney said. “In their minds, I’m battling for that sixth spot and doing what I can. Hopefully, that changes here or somewhere else. I’d like to be confident I’ll play a lot wherever I am. We’ll see.”

Since signing his soon-to-expire six-year, $24 million deal with the Pittsburgh Penguins, he’s already been traded two times, so it’s not outrageous to wonder if it will happen again.

There haven’t been too many strong rumblings about potential suitors, however.

Latest Posts
  1. Hard-luck Hillen ‘100 percent’ after staph infection

Sep 16, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT

hillenhelpedoffgetty Getty Images

Caps blueliner has had bad luck in the health department.

2. Forsberg named rookie tourney MVP, Ekblad all-tournament

Sep 16, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT

Filip Forsberg Getty Images

Florida’s youngsters stole the show overall.

3. Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury

Sep 16, 2014, 7:18 PM EDT

Josh Harding Josh Harding

And he’ll reportedly miss part of Minnesota’s training camp.

4. Sens bringing ex-Devils Mills, Palmieri to camp

Sep 16, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT

New Jersey Devils v Boston Bruins New Jersey Devils v Boston Bruins

The former appeared in three games for Chicago last year; the latter played in Germany.

5. Ducks score another nice deal, ink Smith-Pelly for two years, $1.6M

Sep 16, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT

Phoenix Coyotes v Anaheim Ducks Getty Images

Just one month after re-signing Jakob Silfverberg on the cheap.

6. Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving

Sep 16, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT

Bill Daly

“Fines are meaningful. And I think it has to do with essentially being called out.”

7. Veteran d-man Clark joins Avs’ staff

Sep 16, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT

Clark_Brett

He’ll be part of the player development department.

8. Richards: I gave Lombardi ‘my word’ I’d work harder in the offseason

Sep 16, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT

2014 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Five Getty Images

Kings forward “didn’t want to become a free agent and leave” L.A.

9. Blues bringing BizNasty to camp

Sep 16, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT

Coyotes Blues Hockey AP

That’s him getting tossed around by Ryan Reaves.

10. Daly, Holmgren honored with Lester Patrick Trophy

Sep 16, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT

billdalygetty Getty Images

For “outstanding service to hockey in the United States.”

11. After trip to neurologist, Clowe on track for training camp

Sep 16, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

NEWARK, NJ - JANUARY 24: Ryane Clowe #29 of the New Jersey Devils takes the puck in the second period against the Washington Capitals at Prudential Center on January 24, 2014 in Newark, New Jersey. Getty Images

Veteran power forward is trying to return from another concussion.

12. Hitchcock’s advice to Mueller on making Blues: just play

Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Mathias Seger, Peter Mueller AP

The recently signed forward hopes to stick with “powerhouse” team.

13. PHT Morning Skate: When ugly can be a good thing

Sep 16, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

victorgreen

Tuesday’s collection of links.

14. B’s Lucic admits his wrist isn’t fully healed

Sep 16, 2014, 12:45 AM EDT

Boston Bruins v Detroit Red Wings - Game Three Getty Images

“It’s turned the corner for the better as far as rehab has gone.”

Top 10 NHL Player Searches