Mar 26, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.
While most of the trade speculation involving the Calgary Flames has surrounded their captain, Jarome Iginla, it could easily be argued that defenseman Jay Bouwmeester is having the better season of the two.
Still just 29 years old, Bouwmeester has six goals and nine assists in 30 games and is averaging a team high 25:07 of ice time. On Sunday, he played a whopping 29:48 in the Flames’ 3-2 victory over the Blues. Frankly, there hasn’t been this much positive buzz about his play since he arrived in Calgary from Florida in 2009.
Bouwmeester is signed through next season with a cap hit of $6.68 million. His contract also includes a no-trade clause, meaning he’d have to approve any deal.
Over the summer, it was reported that the Red Wings were interested in acquiring Bouwmeester. If true, given Detroit’s recent stretch of success, it wouldn’t be surprising if there was still interest as the playoffs get closer.
The Flyers, Senators and Blues are also reportedly “sniffing around.”
For now, though, Bouwmeester is trying to focus on hockey instead of trade rumors.
“Until something happens, it’s all talk,” he said.
The Flames have four games left until the trade deadline, including tonight’s contest in Chicago. Right now, they’re 14th in the Western Conference, six points back of a playoff spot.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11