Mar 26, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.
While most of the trade speculation involving the Calgary Flames has surrounded their captain, Jarome Iginla, it could easily be argued that defenseman Jay Bouwmeester is having the better season of the two.
Still just 29 years old, Bouwmeester has six goals and nine assists in 30 games and is averaging a team high 25:07 of ice time. On Sunday, he played a whopping 29:48 in the Flames’ 3-2 victory over the Blues. Frankly, there hasn’t been this much positive buzz about his play since he arrived in Calgary from Florida in 2009.
Bouwmeester is signed through next season with a cap hit of $6.68 million. His contract also includes a no-trade clause, meaning he’d have to approve any deal.
Over the summer, it was reported that the Red Wings were interested in acquiring Bouwmeester. If true, given Detroit’s recent stretch of success, it wouldn’t be surprising if there was still interest as the playoffs get closer.
The Flyers, Senators and Blues are also reportedly “sniffing around.”
For now, though, Bouwmeester is trying to focus on hockey instead of trade rumors.
“Until something happens, it’s all talk,” he said.
The Flames have four games left until the trade deadline, including tonight’s contest in Chicago. Right now, they’re 14th in the Western Conference, six points back of a playoff spot.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 23
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 50
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)