Mar 26, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.
While most of the trade speculation involving the Calgary Flames has surrounded their captain, Jarome Iginla, it could easily be argued that defenseman Jay Bouwmeester is having the better season of the two.
Still just 29 years old, Bouwmeester has six goals and nine assists in 30 games and is averaging a team high 25:07 of ice time. On Sunday, he played a whopping 29:48 in the Flames’ 3-2 victory over the Blues. Frankly, there hasn’t been this much positive buzz about his play since he arrived in Calgary from Florida in 2009.
Bouwmeester is signed through next season with a cap hit of $6.68 million. His contract also includes a no-trade clause, meaning he’d have to approve any deal.
Over the summer, it was reported that the Red Wings were interested in acquiring Bouwmeester. If true, given Detroit’s recent stretch of success, it wouldn’t be surprising if there was still interest as the playoffs get closer.
The Flyers, Senators and Blues are also reportedly “sniffing around.”
For now, though, Bouwmeester is trying to focus on hockey instead of trade rumors.
“Until something happens, it’s all talk,” he said.
The Flames have four games left until the trade deadline, including tonight’s contest in Chicago. Right now, they’re 14th in the Western Conference, six points back of a playoff spot.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 6
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)