Mar 26, 2013, 1:41 PM EST
The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.
If there’s one thing the New York Islanders do exceeding well, it’s polishing diamonds in the rough. Brad Boyes can be considered one such example after his disappointing campaign with the Buffalo Sabres last season.
He inked a one-year, $1 million deal with the Islanders and was given a chance to play on the top line with John Tavares and Matt Moulson. Boyes has rewarded them with eight goals and 27 points in 32 games this season.
Some might argue that it’s playing on such an enviable line that has sparked 30-year-old forward’s comeback, but by the same logic, his struggles last season could be blamed on the fact the Sabres gave him just 13:10 minutes of ice time per game. Either way, Boyes has put up star-caliber numbers in the past, so if the Islanders start shopping him, they’re likely to find plenty of interested parties.
At the same time, it looks like the Islanders’ first choice would be to keep Boyes. They’re still very much in the playoff race and are attempting to re-sign him, according to Newsday’s Arthur Staple.
Still, trading Boyes might be Plan B if the Islanders don’t feel good about their chances of re-signing him.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 12
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 12
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)