Mar 26, 2013, 1:41 PM EDT
The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.
If there’s one thing the New York Islanders do exceeding well, it’s polishing diamonds in the rough. Brad Boyes can be considered one such example after his disappointing campaign with the Buffalo Sabres last season.
He inked a one-year, $1 million deal with the Islanders and was given a chance to play on the top line with John Tavares and Matt Moulson. Boyes has rewarded them with eight goals and 27 points in 32 games this season.
Some might argue that it’s playing on such an enviable line that has sparked 30-year-old forward’s comeback, but by the same logic, his struggles last season could be blamed on the fact the Sabres gave him just 13:10 minutes of ice time per game. Either way, Boyes has put up star-caliber numbers in the past, so if the Islanders start shopping him, they’re likely to find plenty of interested parties.
At the same time, it looks like the Islanders’ first choice would be to keep Boyes. They’re still very much in the playoff race and are attempting to re-sign him, according to Newsday’s Arthur Staple.
Still, trading Boyes might be Plan B if the Islanders don’t feel good about their chances of re-signing him.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 22
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (47)