Mar 26, 2013, 12:28 AM EDT
The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.
With the NHL’s trade deadline quickly approaching, Ales Hemsky is being talked about as a player who could be available.
The Edmonton Oilers’ 29-year-old winger has one more year on his two-year, $10-million contract after this season. He’s scored eight times and has 18 points in 30 games this season for the Oilers, but is regarded as a highly skilled forward.
According to John Shannon of Sportsnet, Hemsky, who is a cap hit of $5 million, isn’t available just yet. That isn’t to say that won’t change in the coming days.
“Not yet, but he could be,” said Shannon during the Hockey Central Trade Tracker on Monday night.
“The reason I say that, I think if you talk to anybody inside the Oilers’ organization, they still have that outside hope – now don’t laugh, folks – the outside hope of making the playoffs.
“Bottom line is they don’t need another draft pick, they don’t need more prospects. If they are to trade someone like Ales Hemsky, they’ve got to get a forward that can play the same position, just a little tougher.”
That outside hope at a playoff spot might be fading fast after Monday night.
The Oilers were defeated 3-2 by the Nashville Predators and have now lost three straight games. They have one point over that span and are 13th in the Western Conference.
They sit three points ahead of the Colorado Avalanche, the 15th and final seed in the West, and five points behind the Predators for that eighth and final playoff spot.
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 0
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 5
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 15
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 21
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 53
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)