Mar 26, 2013, 12:28 AM EST
The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.
With the NHL’s trade deadline quickly approaching, Ales Hemsky is being talked about as a player who could be available.
The Edmonton Oilers’ 29-year-old winger has one more year on his two-year, $10-million contract after this season. He’s scored eight times and has 18 points in 30 games this season for the Oilers, but is regarded as a highly skilled forward.
According to John Shannon of Sportsnet, Hemsky, who is a cap hit of $5 million, isn’t available just yet. That isn’t to say that won’t change in the coming days.
“Not yet, but he could be,” said Shannon during the Hockey Central Trade Tracker on Monday night.
“The reason I say that, I think if you talk to anybody inside the Oilers’ organization, they still have that outside hope – now don’t laugh, folks – the outside hope of making the playoffs.
“Bottom line is they don’t need another draft pick, they don’t need more prospects. If they are to trade someone like Ales Hemsky, they’ve got to get a forward that can play the same position, just a little tougher.”
That outside hope at a playoff spot might be fading fast after Monday night.
The Oilers were defeated 3-2 by the Nashville Predators and have now lost three straight games. They have one point over that span and are 13th in the Western Conference.
They sit three points ahead of the Colorado Avalanche, the 15th and final seed in the West, and five points behind the Predators for that eighth and final playoff spot.
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 18
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 9
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 75
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)