Mar 26, 2013, 7:06 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames might just clean house during the trade deadline, which means getting rid of expensive veterans such as Jarome Iginla and Jay Bouwmeester. Swapping Miikka Kiprusoff might be a tougher endeavor, however.
It’s unclear how such a scenario would work out contract-wise, although it wouldn’t be surprising if he was suspended like Tim Thomas is in that hypothetical situation.
Naturally, there’s always the chance that he could have a change of heart or that Kypreos’ sources are wrong. Still, it adds another layer of potential drama for a team likely in transition.
Kypreos’ Sportsnet colleague Mark Spector reports that the Flames are looking to trade Iginla for a young goaltender, which would likely make Kiprusoff that much more expendable.
The 36-year-old goalie is in the middle of his ninth season with Calgary. His no-movement clause expired in 2011-12, according to Cap Geek.
The Finnish netminder’s $5.83 million cap hit expires after the 2013-14 season. If he becomes more amenable to a trade, he could work especially well for a low-budget team trying to hit the cap floor; his salary will only be $1.5 million next season.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)