Mar 26, 2013, 7:06 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames might just clean house during the trade deadline, which means getting rid of expensive veterans such as Jarome Iginla and Jay Bouwmeester. Swapping Miikka Kiprusoff might be a tougher endeavor, however.
It’s unclear how such a scenario would work out contract-wise, although it wouldn’t be surprising if he was suspended like Tim Thomas is in that hypothetical situation.
Naturally, there’s always the chance that he could have a change of heart or that Kypreos’ sources are wrong. Still, it adds another layer of potential drama for a team likely in transition.
Kypreos’ Sportsnet colleague Mark Spector reports that the Flames are looking to trade Iginla for a young goaltender, which would likely make Kiprusoff that much more expendable.
The 36-year-old goalie is in the middle of his ninth season with Calgary. His no-movement clause expired in 2011-12, according to Cap Geek.
The Finnish netminder’s $5.83 million cap hit expires after the 2013-14 season. If he becomes more amenable to a trade, he could work especially well for a low-budget team trying to hit the cap floor; his salary will only be $1.5 million next season.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)