Mar 26, 2013, 7:06 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames might just clean house during the trade deadline, which means getting rid of expensive veterans such as Jarome Iginla and Jay Bouwmeester. Swapping Miikka Kiprusoff might be a tougher endeavor, however.
It’s unclear how such a scenario would work out contract-wise, although it wouldn’t be surprising if he was suspended like Tim Thomas is in that hypothetical situation.
Naturally, there’s always the chance that he could have a change of heart or that Kypreos’ sources are wrong. Still, it adds another layer of potential drama for a team likely in transition.
Kypreos’ Sportsnet colleague Mark Spector reports that the Flames are looking to trade Iginla for a young goaltender, which would likely make Kiprusoff that much more expendable.
The 36-year-old goalie is in the middle of his ninth season with Calgary. His no-movement clause expired in 2011-12, according to Cap Geek.
The Finnish netminder’s $5.83 million cap hit expires after the 2013-14 season. If he becomes more amenable to a trade, he could work especially well for a low-budget team trying to hit the cap floor; his salary will only be $1.5 million next season.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 0
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 15
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 20
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5