Mar 26, 2013, 7:06 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames might just clean house during the trade deadline, which means getting rid of expensive veterans such as Jarome Iginla and Jay Bouwmeester. Swapping Miikka Kiprusoff might be a tougher endeavor, however.
It’s unclear how such a scenario would work out contract-wise, although it wouldn’t be surprising if he was suspended like Tim Thomas is in that hypothetical situation.
Naturally, there’s always the chance that he could have a change of heart or that Kypreos’ sources are wrong. Still, it adds another layer of potential drama for a team likely in transition.
Kypreos’ Sportsnet colleague Mark Spector reports that the Flames are looking to trade Iginla for a young goaltender, which would likely make Kiprusoff that much more expendable.
The 36-year-old goalie is in the middle of his ninth season with Calgary. His no-movement clause expired in 2011-12, according to Cap Geek.
The Finnish netminder’s $5.83 million cap hit expires after the 2013-14 season. If he becomes more amenable to a trade, he could work especially well for a low-budget team trying to hit the cap floor; his salary will only be $1.5 million next season.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)