Mar 26, 2013, 11:36 PM EST
Surely you haven’t heard enough about Jarome Iginla, right? Well, the latest update from QMI Agency is that at least one anonymous front office member from an NHL team believes that the Boston Bruins are currently in the lead in the Iggy sweepstakes:
“I think the Bruins are the front runners right now,” That anonymous source said. “With what the (Pittsburgh) Penguins did the last couple of days, they’re motivated.”
The price tag is the even bigger question, however.
While some onlookers believe that the Calgary Flames are asking for a promising young goaltender, the Bruins’ willingness to move 2012 first-rounder Malcolm Subban is up for debate. QMI’s report indicates they’d be willing to do so, yet Sportsnet’s Mark Spector indicates the opposite.
(Spector described Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli as “flatly refusing” such an idea.)
If the Bruins balk, Spector points to the Los Angeles Kings as a logical destination. They’d be asked to part with backup Jonathan Bernier and possibly a first-round pick in that scenario, at least at Calgary’s current price.
Also in the mix if the Flames settle for a vaguer goal of prospects and picks are the Chicago Blackhawks (though they’re unwilling to move a guy like Brandon Saad) and the Pittsburgh Penguins (at least they might be involved enough to try to drive the price up on Boston, according to Spector).
There’s always the chance Iginla, 35, could stay with the Flames, but the next week has the potential to be an entertaining ride.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 5
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 6
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8