Mar 26, 2013, 11:36 PM EST
Surely you haven’t heard enough about Jarome Iginla, right? Well, the latest update from QMI Agency is that at least one anonymous front office member from an NHL team believes that the Boston Bruins are currently in the lead in the Iggy sweepstakes:
“I think the Bruins are the front runners right now,” That anonymous source said. “With what the (Pittsburgh) Penguins did the last couple of days, they’re motivated.”
The price tag is the even bigger question, however.
While some onlookers believe that the Calgary Flames are asking for a promising young goaltender, the Bruins’ willingness to move 2012 first-rounder Malcolm Subban is up for debate. QMI’s report indicates they’d be willing to do so, yet Sportsnet’s Mark Spector indicates the opposite.
(Spector described Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli as “flatly refusing” such an idea.)
If the Bruins balk, Spector points to the Los Angeles Kings as a logical destination. They’d be asked to part with backup Jonathan Bernier and possibly a first-round pick in that scenario, at least at Calgary’s current price.
Also in the mix if the Flames settle for a vaguer goal of prospects and picks are the Chicago Blackhawks (though they’re unwilling to move a guy like Brandon Saad) and the Pittsburgh Penguins (at least they might be involved enough to try to drive the price up on Boston, according to Spector).
There’s always the chance Iginla, 35, could stay with the Flames, but the next week has the potential to be an entertaining ride.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 56
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 34
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)