Mar 26, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
In a not-so-subtle jab at former Bruins goalie Tim Thomas, Kings forward Dustin Penner had some fun on Twitter this morning prior to his Stanley Cup-winning team’s visit to the White House later today…
After careful consideration I’ve decided not to visit the White House today for political reasons LOL JK I’m not an idiot!Free trip? I’m in!
— Dustin Penner (@Dustinpenner25) March 26, 2013
As for today’s activities, the Kings, along with the MLS champion Galaxy, will first be honored by President Barack Obama. The players will then move to the South Lawn, where they’ll partake in an exercise clinic for kids — all part of first lady Michelle Obama’s effort to reduce childhood obesity.
Oh, and there might actually be some politics discussed, as Kings coach Darryl Sutter has indicated he’d like to voice his support for the controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline project.
“I’m gonna ask him about it – damn rights I am,” Sutter told the Globe and Mail.
“It’s 20 feet underground. How can we not want to keep North America [energy self-sufficient]? Why does the border have to separate that? It doesn’t make sense. For sure, I’m going to ask him.”
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 32
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)