Mar 26, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Even with six regulation losses in their last seven games and a place in the bottom of the Western Conference standings, the Colorado Avalanche aren’t blaming anything on the coaching staff.
At least, not publicly.
“It has nothing to do with the coaches,” said goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere Sunday, per the Denver Post. “The system is there. It’s a good system. It’s the same system as we played last year, when we had some success. When we decide to be all on the same page and play within the rules of our team, we’re a successful team, especially with the talent that we have.”
Forward Ryan O’Reilly also stood by the coaching staff, which is led by head coach Joe Sacco.
Sacco was hired prior to the 2009-10 season. He got the Avs into the playoffs his first year, but it appears they’ll miss the postseason for the third straight time in 2013.
Defensively, Colorado has been especially bad, and that responsibility often falls at the feet of the coaches.
The Avs play in Calgary tomorrow.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 2
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 8
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)