Mar 26, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Even with six regulation losses in their last seven games and a place in the bottom of the Western Conference standings, the Colorado Avalanche aren’t blaming anything on the coaching staff.
At least, not publicly.
“It has nothing to do with the coaches,” said goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere Sunday, per the Denver Post. “The system is there. It’s a good system. It’s the same system as we played last year, when we had some success. When we decide to be all on the same page and play within the rules of our team, we’re a successful team, especially with the talent that we have.”
Forward Ryan O’Reilly also stood by the coaching staff, which is led by head coach Joe Sacco.
Sacco was hired prior to the 2009-10 season. He got the Avs into the playoffs his first year, but it appears they’ll miss the postseason for the third straight time in 2013.
Defensively, Colorado has been especially bad, and that responsibility often falls at the feet of the coaches.
The Avs play in Calgary tomorrow.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)