Mar 26, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Even with six regulation losses in their last seven games and a place in the bottom of the Western Conference standings, the Colorado Avalanche aren’t blaming anything on the coaching staff.
At least, not publicly.
“It has nothing to do with the coaches,” said goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere Sunday, per the Denver Post. “The system is there. It’s a good system. It’s the same system as we played last year, when we had some success. When we decide to be all on the same page and play within the rules of our team, we’re a successful team, especially with the talent that we have.”
Forward Ryan O’Reilly also stood by the coaching staff, which is led by head coach Joe Sacco.
Sacco was hired prior to the 2009-10 season. He got the Avs into the playoffs his first year, but it appears they’ll miss the postseason for the third straight time in 2013.
Defensively, Colorado has been especially bad, and that responsibility often falls at the feet of the coaches.
The Avs play in Calgary tomorrow.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)