Mar 26, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
Even with six regulation losses in their last seven games and a place in the bottom of the Western Conference standings, the Colorado Avalanche aren’t blaming anything on the coaching staff.
At least, not publicly.
“It has nothing to do with the coaches,” said goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere Sunday, per the Denver Post. “The system is there. It’s a good system. It’s the same system as we played last year, when we had some success. When we decide to be all on the same page and play within the rules of our team, we’re a successful team, especially with the talent that we have.”
Forward Ryan O’Reilly also stood by the coaching staff, which is led by head coach Joe Sacco.
Sacco was hired prior to the 2009-10 season. He got the Avs into the playoffs his first year, but it appears they’ll miss the postseason for the third straight time in 2013.
Defensively, Colorado has been especially bad, and that responsibility often falls at the feet of the coaches.
The Avs play in Calgary tomorrow.
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 6
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 5
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 8
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 101
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 128
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (129)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (106)