Mar 26, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Even with six regulation losses in their last seven games and a place in the bottom of the Western Conference standings, the Colorado Avalanche aren’t blaming anything on the coaching staff.
At least, not publicly.
“It has nothing to do with the coaches,” said goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere Sunday, per the Denver Post. “The system is there. It’s a good system. It’s the same system as we played last year, when we had some success. When we decide to be all on the same page and play within the rules of our team, we’re a successful team, especially with the talent that we have.”
Forward Ryan O’Reilly also stood by the coaching staff, which is led by head coach Joe Sacco.
Sacco was hired prior to the 2009-10 season. He got the Avs into the playoffs his first year, but it appears they’ll miss the postseason for the third straight time in 2013.
Defensively, Colorado has been especially bad, and that responsibility often falls at the feet of the coaches.
The Avs play in Calgary tomorrow.
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 3
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 87
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 40
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 72
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 62