Mar 26, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT
After a 5-2 loss to the New York Rangers on Tuesday, many people are ready to bury the Philadelphia Flyers’ playoff hopes. Head coach Peter Laviolette isn’t in that group.
He insisted that hope isn’t totally lost to the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi.
“The season is not over,” Laviolette said.
The odds are heavily stacked against Philly, though. Tonight’s dispiriting defeat leaves the Flyers with a 2.7 percent chance to make the playoffs, according to Sport Club Stats. Only the moribund Florida Panthers (zero percent) have less of a chance.
Even so, team captain Claude Giroux claims that the team will keep plugging away.
“We’re not going to quit,” Giroux said. “You win a couple games in a row, you never know.”
At least they’re keeping their hopes up.
Here are highlights from the game:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 70
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 30
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 53
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 34
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (53)