Mar 26, 2013, 11:01 PM EST
After a 5-2 loss to the New York Rangers on Tuesday, many people are ready to bury the Philadelphia Flyers’ playoff hopes. Head coach Peter Laviolette isn’t in that group.
He insisted that hope isn’t totally lost to the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi.
“The season is not over,” Laviolette said.
The odds are heavily stacked against Philly, though. Tonight’s dispiriting defeat leaves the Flyers with a 2.7 percent chance to make the playoffs, according to Sport Club Stats. Only the moribund Florida Panthers (zero percent) have less of a chance.
Even so, team captain Claude Giroux claims that the team will keep plugging away.
“We’re not going to quit,” Giroux said. “You win a couple games in a row, you never know.”
At least they’re keeping their hopes up.
Here are highlights from the game:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)