Mar 26, 2013, 11:01 PM EST
After a 5-2 loss to the New York Rangers on Tuesday, many people are ready to bury the Philadelphia Flyers’ playoff hopes. Head coach Peter Laviolette isn’t in that group.
He insisted that hope isn’t totally lost to the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi.
“The season is not over,” Laviolette said.
The odds are heavily stacked against Philly, though. Tonight’s dispiriting defeat leaves the Flyers with a 2.7 percent chance to make the playoffs, according to Sport Club Stats. Only the moribund Florida Panthers (zero percent) have less of a chance.
Even so, team captain Claude Giroux claims that the team will keep plugging away.
“We’re not going to quit,” Giroux said. “You win a couple games in a row, you never know.”
At least they’re keeping their hopes up.
Here are highlights from the game:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)