Mar 26, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT
After a 5-2 loss to the New York Rangers on Tuesday, many people are ready to bury the Philadelphia Flyers’ playoff hopes. Head coach Peter Laviolette isn’t in that group.
He insisted that hope isn’t totally lost to the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi.
“The season is not over,” Laviolette said.
The odds are heavily stacked against Philly, though. Tonight’s dispiriting defeat leaves the Flyers with a 2.7 percent chance to make the playoffs, according to Sport Club Stats. Only the moribund Florida Panthers (zero percent) have less of a chance.
Even so, team captain Claude Giroux claims that the team will keep plugging away.
“We’re not going to quit,” Giroux said. “You win a couple games in a row, you never know.”
At least they’re keeping their hopes up.
Here are highlights from the game:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)