Mar 26, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
Alex Ovechkin on Monday had the line of the day. Perhaps even the season, it was that good.
“Right now I’m scoring goals and I’m the king of the world,” Ovechkin said Monday. “A couple weeks ago I was almost in the toilet. You just forgot to flush me.”
It wouldn’t be outlandish to suggest – based on recent events – that Ovechkin, once in the hotly contested debate with Sidney Crosby as the best hockey player in the world, is back.
There was talk early on in the season that the Washington Capitals 27-year-old super star was perhaps washed up – in his late 20s.
He started the season with one goal in the first five games and two goals in the first 10 games. Not flattering numbers for a man who has once in his NHL career reached the 60-goal plateau and done so with incredible flare and determination.
His numbers of late are much more Ovechkin.
He’s scored in six of his last seven games. He has nine points in his last five games. His surge earned him the NHL’s first star of the week. The Capitals have won four of their last five games and are now just two points back of the New York Rangers for the eighth and final playoff spot.
When Ovechkin is going, so too are the Capitals.
“The most important thing for me is the chances,” Ovechkin told the Washington Post.
“If I have like two games, no chances, no shootings, of course it’s something bad with me and maybe our line didn’t work out. But right now everything is working and I feel pretty good.”
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 7
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 31
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)