Mar 26, 2013, 5:21 PM EDT
Like many of his counterparts around the NHL, Predators general manager David Poile isn’t sure if he should be selling or buying as next Wednesday’s trade deadline approaches.
For now then, he’s just going to do…nothing.
“We’re not in the playoffs right now,” Poile told The Tennessean. “Could we be in the next four games? Yes. But even if we’re not, I don’t think we’ll be very far out, maybe one or two points.
“The answer might be that status quo is a good position to be in.”
It would take a fair bit of wheeling and dealing to match the number of moves Poile made last year as he attempted to prove to pending free agents Ryan Suter and Shea Weber that the Predators were a team that was committed to winning.
And even if Poile wanted to be active this year, he’s not sure the market is right for deal-making.
“You just have to look at the standings and see how bunched together all the teams are,” he said.
Winners of three in a row (after four straight losses), the Preds have three games remaining before the deadline. They’re currently ninth in the Western Conference, tied in points with eighth-place San Jose; however, they’ve played two more games than the Sharks.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 2
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 29
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)