Mar 26, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
The last thing the fading Phoenix Coyotes need is for goalie Mike Smith‘s upper-body injury to be worse than initially expected. Some might panic, then, to see that he’s been listed on the injured reserve.
Still, the team likely placed him on the IR retroactive to when he was injured (March 21), so they have flexibility to bring him back in the near future if his health improves.
The Coyotes have been pretty coy about the specifics of his injury – especially the severity – though.
While Smith, 31, was in the net for four of those losses (0-3-1), it still must be worrisome that the Coyotes are without him during a six-game skid. They’re currently ranked 12th in the West with 30 standings points.
(H/T to Rotoworld)
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)