Mar 26, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
The last thing the fading Phoenix Coyotes need is for goalie Mike Smith‘s upper-body injury to be worse than initially expected. Some might panic, then, to see that he’s been listed on the injured reserve.
Still, the team likely placed him on the IR retroactive to when he was injured (March 21), so they have flexibility to bring him back in the near future if his health improves.
The Coyotes have been pretty coy about the specifics of his injury – especially the severity – though.
While Smith, 31, was in the net for four of those losses (0-3-1), it still must be worrisome that the Coyotes are without him during a six-game skid. They’re currently ranked 12th in the West with 30 standings points.
(H/T to Rotoworld)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 22
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 5
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 10
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (25)