Mar 26, 2013, 2:39 AM EST
These are tough times in Edmonton. The Oilers lost 3-2 to the Nashville Predators Monday, dropping their third straight game.
Their playoff chances are slim, their playoff hopes fading. They are 13th in the Western Conference and now five points out of a playoff spot.
The team’s struggles were appropriately captured in the first three paragraphs of Robert Tychkowski’s game file in the Edmonton Sun. He wrote:
You know why nobody’s penned a country music song about the Edmonton Oilers yet?
Because all of the tear drops make the paper too soggy to write on.
Instead of the dog dyin’, it’s Edmonton’s mangy-looking playoff hopes that are always being put out of their misery. Year after year after year after year after year after year after year.
The second period was the Oilers’ undoing in this latest tale of woe. The Predators scored twice, taking a two-goal lead before hanging on for the win in the third.
“I don’t know what happened in the second period, we just kind of handed the game over to them,” Oilers defenseman Ladislav Smid told the Edmonton Sun.
“We should realize what the situation is. If we win we’re one point behind Nashville and that much closer to a playoff position. We have to be more desperate than this. This is unacceptable.”
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 0
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)