Mar 26, 2013, 2:39 AM EDT
These are tough times in Edmonton. The Oilers lost 3-2 to the Nashville Predators Monday, dropping their third straight game.
Their playoff chances are slim, their playoff hopes fading. They are 13th in the Western Conference and now five points out of a playoff spot.
The team’s struggles were appropriately captured in the first three paragraphs of Robert Tychkowski’s game file in the Edmonton Sun. He wrote:
You know why nobody’s penned a country music song about the Edmonton Oilers yet?
Because all of the tear drops make the paper too soggy to write on.
Instead of the dog dyin’, it’s Edmonton’s mangy-looking playoff hopes that are always being put out of their misery. Year after year after year after year after year after year after year.
The second period was the Oilers’ undoing in this latest tale of woe. The Predators scored twice, taking a two-goal lead before hanging on for the win in the third.
“I don’t know what happened in the second period, we just kind of handed the game over to them,” Oilers defenseman Ladislav Smid told the Edmonton Sun.
“We should realize what the situation is. If we win we’re one point behind Nashville and that much closer to a playoff position. We have to be more desperate than this. This is unacceptable.”
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 69
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 29
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 52
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 33
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (69)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (52)