Mar 26, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
One of the NHL’s hottest goalies will start again tonight for the Vancouver Canucks when they host the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Cory Schneider has allowed just five goals in his last four starts, all one-goal Vancouver victories, while stopping 111 of the 116 shots he’s faced (.957 save percentage).
“It is amazing to see the way he has been playing the last four games,” Canucks forward Mason Raymond said following his team’s 3-2 victory Sunday in Colorado. “The way Schneids has been seeing the puck has been huge for our club.”
Prior to their current run, goaltending had been an issue for the Canucks. Neither Schneider nor Roberto Luongo played particularly well during a 3-6-2 swoon that saw Vancouver surrender first place in the Northwest Division to the Minnesota Wild.
Schneider’s save percentage has since risen all the way to .921.
Luongo’s, meanwhile, has dropped to a modest .904, owing largely to a couple of rough outings versus Detroit.
While Schneider was quick to deflect all the credit — “This isn’t about one particular player. The whole team is playing well.” — there’s no question he’s been the major difference as the Canucks continue to struggle to score like they used to.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 0
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 105
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (106)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)