Video: Braydon Coburn hits Pascal Dupuis from behind

Mar 25, 2013, 12:12 AM EDT

For a Philadelphia Flyers-Pittsburgh Penguins game, Sunday’s 2-1 Pittsburgh shootout win was relatively civil. The two teams combined for just eight penalty minutes.

Still, there was at least one hit that might draw a little controversy. In the closing moments of the third period, Braydon Coburn caught Pascal Dupuis with this hit from behind:

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Dupuis bounced back pretty soon after that and managed to collect an assist on Tyler Kennedy‘s overtime game-winner. We’ve seen plenty of instances of a player coming back quickly from a hit only to realize he was actually injured, so stay tuned to see if he ends up hurt from that check after all.

1. sjsharks66 - Mar 25, 2013 at 12:17 AM

2 game suspension. No need for that. Just shows that when the flyers give up a lead they start playing dirty.

Thumbs downs and replies like “closet pens fan” start……now!

• phillyphanatic77 - Mar 25, 2013 at 12:43 AM

lol you know you are. Not because of your comment here, just because you’ve shown you are. It’s clearly a dirty hit, definitely deserving of a suspension, but it hardly proves the Flyers suddenly flipped the switch to play dirty bc they gave up a tying goal. They were clearly attempting to win the game, not hurt people. Like I’ve said before the Flyers don’t have a monopoly on these types of plays. They happen ALL the time, across the NHL.

• jpelle82 - Mar 25, 2013 at 9:26 AM

yeah wasnt the flyers going broad street on anybody but still unfortunate, flyers were very much in it (score was still teid for crying out loud) they had some good stretches of zone possesion and scoring chances in the waning minutes.

• callmegreenie - Mar 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I am a Penguins fan and yes, the hit deserves a review and possible suspension. However, at the time of the hit the game was tied 1-1 so your theory of the Flyers playing dirty because they gave up the lead is not valid. Why risk a major penalty in a tie game with very little time left in regulation?

Believe me, I do not like the Flyers but the games between these two teams are always intense and players get caught up in the pace and emotion of that rivalry. I do not believe Coburn was trying to hurt Dupuis and thankfully he didn’t. But he does have a responsibility to watch his hits and avoid situations that could result in injury. This, like any other hit, warrants review. If the NHL lets it slide then they are making it look like they don’t care if players get hurt in this rivalry. And believe me, that will lead to injuries.

2. aklolzer - Mar 25, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I hope his neck is broken in 5 places.

• jimw81 - Mar 25, 2013 at 12:35 AM

stay classy

• pens5829 - Mar 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Someone please block this a-hole

• johnstone17 - Mar 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Are you kidding me?

3. bmscalise - Mar 25, 2013 at 12:24 AM

That hit was inexcusable – exactly what the league has claimed they want gone. Dupuis didn’t make a last second move – Coburn looked at his numbers and then drove his face into the glass as hard as he could. It is a testament to how poor the officiating was the entire game that this wasn’t called. Should be 2-3 games but will likely be 0-1 because Duper played in OT.

• stakex - Mar 25, 2013 at 3:44 AM

“as hard as he could”?

Might want to watch the video again. Coburn most certainly did not hit Dupuis as hard as he could have. If he wanted to do damage, he could have really leaned into the hit… but he didn’t. No argument that its a nasty hit, but lets not over exagerate it.

4. jimw81 - Mar 25, 2013 at 12:37 AM

he’s getting atleast two. league needs to be consistant.

5. ldemarinis - Mar 25, 2013 at 12:45 AM

I’m a Pens fan, and the reffing was terrible all game and this is the pinnacle.

• steelpenbucs87 - Mar 25, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Not just terrible, but inconsistent. Sometime’s they were calling things that were ticky tack and sometimes they were letting both teams get away with murder.

• bmoreredfury311 - Mar 25, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Its been that way all year, for every team unfortunately. Hope next year they’ll find some consistency in there calls.

6. mclovinhockey - Mar 25, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Yeah the officials were pathetic… They gave 2 calls in the first 50+ minutes, then 2 calls in -30 secs… Not saying the 2 calls in less than 30 secs were bad calls but the consistency was like that of a coconut

7. Stiller43 - Mar 25, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Why is the only time i see “akolzer” comment, its about how he’s hoping some human being who plays a sport for a living has a terrible injury and/or dies?

If thats not grounds for banning, just for stupidity and a-hole-ishness, idk what is.

8. mclovinhockey - Mar 25, 2013 at 1:23 AM

I agree, please ban that scumbag.

Coburn usually isn’t dirty, been in the league a while. I’m pretty sure the only similar incident he had was when he hurt Bergeron but that was just a hockey play gone wrong. Since there was no serious injury I can say 2 games sounds about fair.

Then again with shanny calling the shot who knows what can happen.

Btw Kennedy’s shot was a bullet, it pissed me off but it was a beauty

9. nunan - Mar 25, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Obviously a punishable hit. I hate when people stay down though. I don’t see women players stay down as long as some of these guys, who undoubtedly come back in the next shift or two. Most of the time, it is only meant to milk a call from the refs. Just get up. The ref is going to make his decision whether you stay down or not.

• obelopens95 - Mar 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM

U urself never played obviously… no milking invovled. Its trying to get air back in ur lungs while ur literally seeing spots…

P.s. woman get hit by woman with half the mass and a reduced speed then men…
      Just saying.

• nunan - Mar 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Actually I did play and that’s exactly why I’m right. How do you know what he was feeling? That he got the air knocked out of his lungs? There is absolutely no way you would know how that hit effected him. I know that most of those hits, while not clean, don’t require a player staying on the ice motionless like he’s paralyzed. You can always tell it was an act when the player comes back next shift. I am always amazed that people fall for that crap all the time. I’m sorry you’re so gullible. If they lie down for that long and force a whistle, there should be a rule that they need to sit out for 10 minutes to recuperate. It is another form of players trying to milk calls. Get a clue…just saying…

• habsman - Mar 25, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Well if anyone would know about “players milking to get calls,” it would be a Bruin fan like you.

You see it all the time don’t you? Rat Face, Ferrence, Thornton, BoychuCk, etal….and most recently Chara vs. the Sens last week.

So don’t rag on pens95, he may not know how the hit affected Dupuis, but you certainly don’t either.

Get a clue…just saying…

ps. have you missed me?

• habsman - Mar 25, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Boychuck.

• nunan - Mar 25, 2013 at 4:24 PM

They’re isn’t currently a player in the league by that name..

• habsman - Mar 25, 2013 at 4:29 PM

They’re?

You should really think before posting.

• nunan - Mar 25, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Pot calling the kettle black. That’s my thing…I think..you don’t. Still waiting for the informative post from you…something about hockey…

• habsman - Mar 25, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Just pointing out a garammatical mistake. We all make them. (BoychuCk).

Please don’t be so sensitive Mr. nunan. I was really hoping you and I could develope some kind of raport. You know, Buds, you and I! Wouldn’t that be great?

BTW, did you see Chara flopping around vs the Sens? Even Denny Potvin was chuckling.

• nunan - Mar 25, 2013 at 5:03 PM

A ‘garammatical’ mistake…’develope’…’raport’? Jeez..It’s easy enough to completely own you in these discussions Habsman, never-mind when you are making my point for me. I love when you comment. It’s too easy to reply because I always reply with knowledge. I will gladly debate you in hockey one day…but you don’t appear ready for that.. When you’re ready, let me know. We all do make mistakes..you are right about that. So when you continue to unknowingly spell a name wrong, what should we call that? A mistake or stupidity? You know my answer to that already! Also, I like that you keep replying to my posts if I don’t notice you commented…it’s like a child craving attention.

• habsman - Mar 25, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Gee nunan, that’s a rather mean spirited response. I thought you and I were making some progress to becoming pals.

I know I have my limitations, so when I get “owned” by you, I don’t feel too bad considering your superior intelect. You are after all, the most intellegent poster on this forum. You are one of the few people on here who “always responds with knowledge.”

So that’s why I’m going to continue to reply to your comments (I’m glad you like it) because I know I’ll be a better person because of our interaction. Thanks man.

As for debating hockey, I’ve stated that Chara flopped last week vs the Sens. Is that not worthy of debate? Or is it clear cut?

Is Boychuck playing tonight?

10. bcisleman - Mar 25, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Hard to say why this wasn’t a major. No suspension history for Coburn that I can tell. I’d say 2 games.

11. Stiller43 - Mar 25, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Nunan,

Women dont take hits from 200+ pound men or move as fast (worsening a lot of hits), but in general i agree…although mostly with the high stick penalties. Every player around the league acts like any time the sticks around their helmet, he just took a snipers bullet to the forehead.

• stakex - Mar 25, 2013 at 3:18 AM

Its a natural reaction to snap your head back when a stick comes up into your face…. even if it doesn’t hit you. Of course, a lot of guys want to make sure the refs see that they were hit and go over board on it.

• habsman - Mar 25, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Boychuck.

• obelopens95 - Mar 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Seriously. If a stick comes near ur face during practice or pick up u snap ur head in opposite directions. Wether it makes contact or not. Ur first reactions is to get rhw heck out of the way. And if there is contact no matter how little it seems. Getting hit in the face unexpected with anything sucks… throw a pillow at someones face when they dont expect it and I guarantee there head snaps back in opposite direction… not to “milk it” just human reaction to attempt to lessen the blow…

12. Stiller43 - Mar 25, 2013 at 2:12 AM

And thats not to say a legitimate high stick doesnt hurt like hell, cause it does, but the embellishment around the league is rampant

• habsman - Mar 25, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Bruins.

• obelopens95 - Mar 25, 2013 at 11:31 AM

13. stakex - Mar 25, 2013 at 3:41 AM

I think people need to udnerstand that not every boarding penelty (this should have been a penelty, no doubt about it) is going to result in a suspension. Coburn has no record, Dupuis wasn’t hurt, and Coburn doesn’t drive Dupuis into the boards nearly as hard as he could have. In fact, you can even see him hold Dupuis up a bit. Its a nasty hit sure, but don’t be suprised if there is no suspension for it.

• obelopens95 - Mar 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Seriously… play wasnt even going in that direction. Puck was gone…
      Was clearly done out of pure frustration.
      Yes I agree he could have made it worse, but regardless. Puck gone. Play in other direction. If he even just pinned him to boards it could of been a hold or interference in those circumstances.
      He hit him from behind. And late.
      Suspension. Period.
      No need for this.

14. damen84 - Mar 25, 2013 at 8:45 AM

At least a game suspension

15. malkinrulez - Mar 25, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I’d be surprised if there wasn’t a suspension.Thought the game lacked some intensity. Thought both teams played well, but for whatever reason didn’t have that Pens-Flyers feel to it.

• obelopens95 - Mar 25, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Cause the flyers cant afford there usual shenanigans right now with fears of missing playoffs completely.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D