Mar 25, 2013, 1:27 PM EDT
For the second straight day, the Pittsburgh Penguins have added a veteran NHLer for their Cup run.
In return, the Sharks will receive two second-round picks from the Penguins (in 2013 and ’14), with the ’14 pick being conditional upon Murray re-signing with the Pens.
If he doesn’t re-sign or if Pittsburgh doesn’t win at least two playoff rounds, it becomes a third-rounder.
Murray, 33, has spent his entire eight-year career with the Sharks after being selected by the club at the 1999 NHL Entry Draft.
At 6-foot-3, 245 pounds, Murray was regarded as one of San Jose’s most physical and hard-hitting defensemen. He led the Sharks in hits last year, with 126, and and finished second in blocked shots (143).
The Swedish rearguard also has solid playoff experience, twice going to the Western Conference finals. All told, he’s played in 57 postseason contests, recording 2G-8A-10PTS.
The knock on Murray is his skating ability — he’s not exactly Paul Coffey out there — and, at 33, he’s certainly not getting any quicker.
That said, he will provide a physical presence on a blueline next to Brooks Orpik, who has led the Penguins in hits in each of the last two seasons.
Murray is in the final season of a four-year, $10 million deal signed in 2009, with an annual cap hit of $2.5 million.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:37 AM EDT
Philly’s beaten its local rival six times in a row.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:36 AM EDT
Also: Alex Ovechkin’s peerless goal-scoring work and other links.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:41 AM EDT
Could the Vancouver forward be facing further discipline from the league?
Apr 1, 2015, 1:17 AM EDT
Tampa Bay is in a battle for the Atlantic Division.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:40 AM EDT
No call on that play.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT
That’s big for Ottawa.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
This was an eventful game.
Mar 31, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT
Could supplemental discipline be on the way?
Mar 31, 2015, 10:09 PM EDT
Florida had the lead in the third period.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:38 PM EDT
Could Vancouver’s veteran defenseman be looking at a suspension?
Mar 31, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Scored 32 goals in 37 games this season.
Mar 31, 2015, 8:13 PM EDT
Mar 31, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT
Joins Bossy, Gretzky, Dionne, Lafleur and Lemieux.
Mar 31, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
3rd-round pick if it happens after the season, 2nd-rounder if it happens in-season.
Mar 31, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
University of Minnesota blueliner inching closer to free agency.
Mar 31, 2015, 6:41 PM EDT
So the Hart will not, as some have suggested, become the Gretzky.
Mar 31, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Blackhawks duo “had a good thing going.”
Mar 31, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
Not just a team that scores a lot of goals.
Mar 31, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT
Could really use a win tonight versus the Rangers.
Mar 31, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
“I can speak from experience that home ice matters.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 0
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 40
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 29
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 15
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8