Mar 25, 2013, 6:13 PM EDT
It appears the Tampa Bay Lightning will once again turn to a rookie NHL head coach.
According to both TSN’s Darren Dreger and CBC’s Elliotte Friedman, the Lightning will announce tomorrow that 45-year-old Jon Cooper, currently the head coach of Tampa Bay’s AHL affiliate in Syracuse, is Guy Boucher’s replacement.
Last year, Cooper coached the Norfolk Admirals (the Lightning’s affiliate before this season) to a Calder Cup championship.
Not surprisingly, his name came up this summer in regards to other coaching vacancies around the NHL.
“I’m probably a chic name right now,” Cooper told the Washington Times. “And in this business, that’s good. Sometimes it’s time to move and sometimes you’ve got to strike when the iron’s hot, if it happens.”
Before Cooper’s AHL coaching career started in 2010, he spent two seasons behind the bench of the Green Bay Gamblers of the USHL. He’s also coached young players internationally and has a law degree.
How would he describe his coaching style?
“I would throw aggressive in there, I would throw in in-your-face,” Cooper told Sports Illustrated. “I would throw in ‘We’re tough.’ If I could find a perfect marriage between the ’80s Edmonton Oilers and the ’70s Philadelphia Flyers, that’s the way we play.”
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)