Mar 25, 2013, 9:20 AM EDT
The New York Rangers appear to be close to getting a key reinforcement in their battle for a playoff spot.
The 5-foot-7 Norwegian still needs to be released from his KHL contract before he can return to the NHL, but he does have an out-clause in his deal with Magnitogorsk Metallurg. Barring a setback, the Rangers might get Zuccarello by this weekend.
It’s also worth noting that because Zuccarello was already on the Rangers’ RFA/reserve list, he won’t have to be exposed to waivers.
Zuccarello has eight goals and 26 points in 52 career NHL games. He was also roughly a point-per-game player in the AHL in 2011-12 and had 28 points in 44 KHL games this season.
Rangers prospect Jesper Fast might also be brought to New York after scoring 18 goals and 35 points in 47 Swedish Elite League games in 2012-13.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 33
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 93
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)