Mar 25, 2013, 9:20 AM EDT
The New York Rangers appear to be close to getting a key reinforcement in their battle for a playoff spot.
The 5-foot-7 Norwegian still needs to be released from his KHL contract before he can return to the NHL, but he does have an out-clause in his deal with Magnitogorsk Metallurg. Barring a setback, the Rangers might get Zuccarello by this weekend.
It’s also worth noting that because Zuccarello was already on the Rangers’ RFA/reserve list, he won’t have to be exposed to waivers.
Zuccarello has eight goals and 26 points in 52 career NHL games. He was also roughly a point-per-game player in the AHL in 2011-12 and had 28 points in 44 KHL games this season.
Rangers prospect Jesper Fast might also be brought to New York after scoring 18 goals and 35 points in 47 Swedish Elite League games in 2012-13.
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 20
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 36
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 49
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 33
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 26
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 52
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6