Mar 25, 2013, 9:20 AM EST
The New York Rangers appear to be close to getting a key reinforcement in their battle for a playoff spot.
The 5-foot-7 Norwegian still needs to be released from his KHL contract before he can return to the NHL, but he does have an out-clause in his deal with Magnitogorsk Metallurg. Barring a setback, the Rangers might get Zuccarello by this weekend.
It’s also worth noting that because Zuccarello was already on the Rangers’ RFA/reserve list, he won’t have to be exposed to waivers.
Zuccarello has eight goals and 26 points in 52 career NHL games. He was also roughly a point-per-game player in the AHL in 2011-12 and had 28 points in 44 KHL games this season.
Rangers prospect Jesper Fast might also be brought to New York after scoring 18 goals and 35 points in 47 Swedish Elite League games in 2012-13.
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 0
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 16
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 27
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)