Mar 25, 2013, 9:20 AM EST
The New York Rangers appear to be close to getting a key reinforcement in their battle for a playoff spot.
The 5-foot-7 Norwegian still needs to be released from his KHL contract before he can return to the NHL, but he does have an out-clause in his deal with Magnitogorsk Metallurg. Barring a setback, the Rangers might get Zuccarello by this weekend.
It’s also worth noting that because Zuccarello was already on the Rangers’ RFA/reserve list, he won’t have to be exposed to waivers.
Zuccarello has eight goals and 26 points in 52 career NHL games. He was also roughly a point-per-game player in the AHL in 2011-12 and had 28 points in 44 KHL games this season.
Rangers prospect Jesper Fast might also be brought to New York after scoring 18 goals and 35 points in 47 Swedish Elite League games in 2012-13.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)