Mar 25, 2013, 5:09 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators made a pair of moves in advance of tonight’s game against Edmonton, activating forward Patric Hornqvist off IR while sending defenseman Ryan Ellis to the minors.
Hornqvist, 26, has been out of the Preds lineup since suffering a upper-body injury against the Oilers on Mar. 8.
The former 30-goal scorer has battled through an injury-plagued season — he already missed nine games with a knee injury — yet still managed to score 3G-5A-8PTS in 14 games before getting hurt again.
As for the Ellis demotion…
At first glance, it might come as a surprise, as Ellis has appeared in all 32 games for the Preds this year, averaging over 16 minutes per game while registering 2G-4A-6PTS.
But the 11th overall pick in 2009 had struggled at times this season and, with eight defensemen on the active roster, the club felt it best for him to spent some time in the American league.
The move also gets less surprising when you consider Nashville has used the Milwaukee demotion quite frequently this year.
SB Nation’s On The Forecheck has a pretty solid rundown of how the Preds have sent several guys there by way of the conditioning assignment, which is why Craig Smith currently finds himself playing for the Admirals.
(Do note, however, that Ellis isn’t there on a conditioning assignment. He can be sent to the AHL freely because he’s still on his entry-level deal.)
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 24
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 51
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 9
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)