Mar 25, 2013, 3:22 PM EDT
Smith, 31, was knocked out of action last Thursday after getting run over by Vancouver defenseman Alex Edler in the second period of a 2-1 loss:
Edler was given a five-minute charging major on the play and suspended two games for his actions.
Smith was able to finish out the period — the hit occurred with less than two minutes remaining — but was replaced by backup Jason LaBarbera to start the third.
LaBarbera stopped 14 of 15 shots in the frame, but did allow Jordan Schroeder’s game-winning tally with around 10 minutes left in the contest.
The Coyotes aren’t revealing much about Smith’s injury, other than classifying it as an upper-body ailment. He’s already missed four games this year and spent time on injured reserve with a groin strain.
Smith is 11-10-3 on the season with a 2.83 goals-against average and .901 save percentage. He’s also in the final season of a two-year, $4 million deal and will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 12
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 8
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 31
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 110
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 11
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 37