Mar 25, 2013, 3:22 PM EDT
Smith, 31, was knocked out of action last Thursday after getting run over by Vancouver defenseman Alex Edler in the second period of a 2-1 loss:
Edler was given a five-minute charging major on the play and suspended two games for his actions.
Smith was able to finish out the period — the hit occurred with less than two minutes remaining — but was replaced by backup Jason LaBarbera to start the third.
LaBarbera stopped 14 of 15 shots in the frame, but did allow Jordan Schroeder’s game-winning tally with around 10 minutes left in the contest.
The Coyotes aren’t revealing much about Smith’s injury, other than classifying it as an upper-body ailment. He’s already missed four games this year and spent time on injured reserve with a groin strain.
Smith is 11-10-3 on the season with a 2.83 goals-against average and .901 save percentage. He’s also in the final season of a two-year, $4 million deal and will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 1
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 22
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)