Mar 25, 2013, 3:22 PM EDT
Smith, 31, was knocked out of action last Thursday after getting run over by Vancouver defenseman Alex Edler in the second period of a 2-1 loss:
Edler was given a five-minute charging major on the play and suspended two games for his actions.
Smith was able to finish out the period — the hit occurred with less than two minutes remaining — but was replaced by backup Jason LaBarbera to start the third.
LaBarbera stopped 14 of 15 shots in the frame, but did allow Jordan Schroeder’s game-winning tally with around 10 minutes left in the contest.
The Coyotes aren’t revealing much about Smith’s injury, other than classifying it as an upper-body ailment. He’s already missed four games this year and spent time on injured reserve with a groin strain.
Smith is 11-10-3 on the season with a 2.83 goals-against average and .901 save percentage. He’s also in the final season of a two-year, $4 million deal and will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 3
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)