Mar 25, 2013, 3:22 PM EDT
Smith, 31, was knocked out of action last Thursday after getting run over by Vancouver defenseman Alex Edler in the second period of a 2-1 loss:
Edler was given a five-minute charging major on the play and suspended two games for his actions.
Smith was able to finish out the period — the hit occurred with less than two minutes remaining — but was replaced by backup Jason LaBarbera to start the third.
LaBarbera stopped 14 of 15 shots in the frame, but did allow Jordan Schroeder’s game-winning tally with around 10 minutes left in the contest.
The Coyotes aren’t revealing much about Smith’s injury, other than classifying it as an upper-body ailment. He’s already missed four games this year and spent time on injured reserve with a groin strain.
Smith is 11-10-3 on the season with a 2.83 goals-against average and .901 save percentage. He’s also in the final season of a two-year, $4 million deal and will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 55
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 3
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)