Mar 25, 2013, 3:22 PM EDT
Smith, 31, was knocked out of action last Thursday after getting run over by Vancouver defenseman Alex Edler in the second period of a 2-1 loss:
Edler was given a five-minute charging major on the play and suspended two games for his actions.
Smith was able to finish out the period — the hit occurred with less than two minutes remaining — but was replaced by backup Jason LaBarbera to start the third.
LaBarbera stopped 14 of 15 shots in the frame, but did allow Jordan Schroeder’s game-winning tally with around 10 minutes left in the contest.
The Coyotes aren’t revealing much about Smith’s injury, other than classifying it as an upper-body ailment. He’s already missed four games this year and spent time on injured reserve with a groin strain.
Smith is 11-10-3 on the season with a 2.83 goals-against average and .901 save percentage. He’s also in the final season of a two-year, $4 million deal and will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 0
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 13
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 30
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 14
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)