Mar 25, 2013, 3:19 PM EST
Given the dividends the trade has paid — Neal is currently fifth in the NHL with 17 goals — the Pens were obviously pleased with what their proprietary numbers told them.
So pleased were that they director of player personnel Dan MacKinnon recently said, “I don’t think we’ve made an impact decision since then without consulting the analytics.”
“Analytics doesn’t come in to this for me,” said Shero, per Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston. “You can’t measure the heart, the character, the fit on your team you’re looking for.”
Neither trade has been particularly well-received by the burgeoning advanced statistics community. Morrow and Murray are both veterans with plenty of postseason experience, but both have seen their roles reduced in recent seasons.
Can Morrow rediscover the form that made him one of Team Canada’s unsung heroes at the 2010 Olympics?
Can Murray provide the big, physical presence Shero says he was looking for?
Or, should Shero have checked the numbers first?
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 0
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 2
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 6
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 101
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 128
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (128)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (105)