Mar 25, 2013, 3:19 PM EST
Given the dividends the trade has paid — Neal is currently fifth in the NHL with 17 goals — the Pens were obviously pleased with what their proprietary numbers told them.
So pleased were that they director of player personnel Dan MacKinnon recently said, “I don’t think we’ve made an impact decision since then without consulting the analytics.”
“Analytics doesn’t come in to this for me,” said Shero, per Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston. “You can’t measure the heart, the character, the fit on your team you’re looking for.”
Neither trade has been particularly well-received by the burgeoning advanced statistics community. Morrow and Murray are both veterans with plenty of postseason experience, but both have seen their roles reduced in recent seasons.
Can Morrow rediscover the form that made him one of Team Canada’s unsung heroes at the 2010 Olympics?
Can Murray provide the big, physical presence Shero says he was looking for?
Or, should Shero have checked the numbers first?
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 21
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)