Mar 25, 2013, 4:44 PM EST
Just because the Dallas Stars traded their heart-and-soul captain doesn’t mean they’re giving up on the season.
At least, that’s what general manager Joe Nieuwendyk hopes.
Nieuwendyk addressed his team this morning and told them the fact Brenden Morrow is now a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins shouldn’t change their goals.
“The guys are focused,” Nieuwendyk said, per the Dallas Morning News. “I talked to them this morning because it is a big deal when you move your captain (but) this doesn’t change our mindset at all of making the playoffs. We wanted to get that on the table. I think the guys are really focused and I said that to them that, in a way, this brings the team closer together. When you lose a player that has meant so much to the organization, you all have to step up, you all have to come together and I expect them to do that.”
At the risk of understating his importance to the franchise, Morrow’s on-ice role with the Stars this season wasn’t what it used to be. The 34-year-old was ninth in team scoring when he left, with 11 points in 29 games. Meanwhile, he was averaging just 14:55 of playing time per game, down significantly from his career high of 21:21 in 2008-09.
Then there are the young guys that will be expected to step up, like 23-year-old Jamie Benn.
“It just gives us a chance to maybe talk a little more, maybe pick up some slack,” said Benn.
The Stars head into tonight’s home game versus Minnesota in eighth spot in the Western Conference, one point up on San Jose, which holds a game in hand.
Related: Derek Roy, trade bait
Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 AM EST
Four straight wins for Anaheim.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST
Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
What a roll he and the Sens are on.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST
He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
What better way to make an impression on new teammates.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:26 PM EST
Good news for NYR.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:48 PM EST
Big Buff doing Big Buff things.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST
Also, for causing “significant injury.”
Mar 4, 2015, 7:23 PM EST
8 p.m. ET, on NBCSN
Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
An Original Six matchup at the Joe.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:32 PM EST
Hurt it in practice.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Another small crowd last night at BB&T Center.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 4, 2015, 2:09 PM EST
“You can never have too many d-men at this time of the year.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)