Mar 25, 2013, 10:56 AM EST
One of the most talked about potential trade targets wants to stay put — assuming he can stay put for a while.
“If we can agree to a long-term [contract], then I’ll be more than happy to stay here,” Ribeiro said.
“Five years for me is long term. Two, three years I don’t think it’s long term. It’s short-term. Two, three is short term. Four, five, six [is] long-term.”
Ribeiro, 33, leads the Caps with 34 points in 32 games. He’s also a pending unrestricted free agent. Given the dearth of centers in the NHL, he’d be a hot commodity at the trade deadline if he were made available.
Of course, Washington’s recent surge to within two points of the eighth-place Rangers may make it less likely he’s traded. The Caps have four games before the April 3 deadline.
“I think it will be a big week for decisions to be made,” said Ribeiro. “We’ll see what’s going to happen.”
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 6
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)