Mar 24, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are actively pursuing college free agent defenseman Danny DeKeyser, according to the Detroit Free Press.
DeKeyser, who hails from Clay Township, Mich., was playing college hockey for the Western Michigan Broncos but is now an unrestricted free agent.
“The agent says they are going through process and will take a few days to make a decision,” Red Wings general manager Ken Holland told the Detroit Free Press.
Money is not an issue in this case. Teams can only offer him an entry-level contract, as per MLive.com.
“We’ve talked to him for the last few years, all other 29 teams have, too,” Red Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill told MLive.com. “He’s one of the top free agents available.
“He’s getting the same contract (offer) from everybody.”
In 33 games with the Broncos this season, DeKeyser had two goals and 15 points. He also provides size on the back end, standing at 6’3″.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 1
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)