Mar 24, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are actively pursuing college free agent defenseman Danny DeKeyser, according to the Detroit Free Press.
DeKeyser, who hails from Clay Township, Mich., was playing college hockey for the Western Michigan Broncos but is now an unrestricted free agent.
“The agent says they are going through process and will take a few days to make a decision,” Red Wings general manager Ken Holland told the Detroit Free Press.
Money is not an issue in this case. Teams can only offer him an entry-level contract, as per MLive.com.
“We’ve talked to him for the last few years, all other 29 teams have, too,” Red Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill told MLive.com. “He’s one of the top free agents available.
“He’s getting the same contract (offer) from everybody.”
In 33 games with the Broncos this season, DeKeyser had two goals and 15 points. He also provides size on the back end, standing at 6’3″.
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 1
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 14
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 56
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (68)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)