Mar 24, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are actively pursuing college free agent defenseman Danny DeKeyser, according to the Detroit Free Press.
DeKeyser, who hails from Clay Township, Mich., was playing college hockey for the Western Michigan Broncos but is now an unrestricted free agent.
“The agent says they are going through process and will take a few days to make a decision,” Red Wings general manager Ken Holland told the Detroit Free Press.
Money is not an issue in this case. Teams can only offer him an entry-level contract, as per MLive.com.
“We’ve talked to him for the last few years, all other 29 teams have, too,” Red Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill told MLive.com. “He’s one of the top free agents available.
“He’s getting the same contract (offer) from everybody.”
In 33 games with the Broncos this season, DeKeyser had two goals and 15 points. He also provides size on the back end, standing at 6’3″.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 10
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 22
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)