Mar 24, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are actively pursuing college free agent defenseman Danny DeKeyser, according to the Detroit Free Press.
DeKeyser, who hails from Clay Township, Mich., was playing college hockey for the Western Michigan Broncos but is now an unrestricted free agent.
“The agent says they are going through process and will take a few days to make a decision,” Red Wings general manager Ken Holland told the Detroit Free Press.
Money is not an issue in this case. Teams can only offer him an entry-level contract, as per MLive.com.
“We’ve talked to him for the last few years, all other 29 teams have, too,” Red Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill told MLive.com. “He’s one of the top free agents available.
“He’s getting the same contract (offer) from everybody.”
In 33 games with the Broncos this season, DeKeyser had two goals and 15 points. He also provides size on the back end, standing at 6’3″.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 19
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 11
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54