Mar 24, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are actively pursuing college free agent defenseman Danny DeKeyser, according to the Detroit Free Press.
DeKeyser, who hails from Clay Township, Mich., was playing college hockey for the Western Michigan Broncos but is now an unrestricted free agent.
“The agent says they are going through process and will take a few days to make a decision,” Red Wings general manager Ken Holland told the Detroit Free Press.
Money is not an issue in this case. Teams can only offer him an entry-level contract, as per MLive.com.
“We’ve talked to him for the last few years, all other 29 teams have, too,” Red Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill told MLive.com. “He’s one of the top free agents available.
“He’s getting the same contract (offer) from everybody.”
In 33 games with the Broncos this season, DeKeyser had two goals and 15 points. He also provides size on the back end, standing at 6’3″.
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 3
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22