Mar 24, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT
First, Selanne played in NHL regular season game No. 1,372 as the Anaheim Ducks eventually lost to the Detroit Red Wings, tying him with Teppo Numminen for the all-time mark for Finnish NHL players (via the OC Register’s Eric Stephens).
Barring an unexpected injury issue, the 42-year-old should set a new record by playing against the San Jose Sharks on Monday.
On the same night, St. Louis pushed his career points total to 892 with an assist, tying Peter Bondra for 100th all-time (credit: the Tampa Tribune’s Erik Erlendsson). The 37-year-old’s next chance to pass Bondra will come in a Tuesday match against the Buffalo Sabres.
St. Louis has a long way to go if he wants to pass Selanne on the all-time scorers list, though; “The Finnish Flash” pushed his total to 1,426 points with a goal today, strengthening his hold on 15th all-time.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5