Mar 24, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
Maybe the Pittsburgh Penguins aren’t getting in the Jarome Iginla derby after all.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports the Pens and Dallas Stars are close to a deal that would send Stars captain Brenden Morrow to Pittsburgh in exchange for prospect defenseman Joe Morrow. The catch here is that Morrow (Dallas’ Morrow that is) has a no-trade clause and he has yet to waive it.
Dallas and Pittsburgh getting together on another deal may be a bit surprising from the Stars’ perspective. Recall two years ago they dealt James Neal and Matt Niskanen to the Penguins in exchange for Alex Goligoski. That deal has worked out rather well in Pittsburgh’s favor.
Pens GM Ray Shero may be looking to strike gold once again with Dallas and getting a player that both Neal and Sidney Crosby know well would help. Crosby and Morrow played together on the 2010 Canadian Olympic team that won gold in Vancouver.
Morrow is on the final year of his contract that comes with a $4.1 million cap hit. The Penguins would be just over $4 million away from the cap should they acquire him.
Update (4:58 p.m. ET): Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun and Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review say the Boston Bruins also have an offer in for Morrow as well and it’s up to him where he’d like to go. Decisions, decisions.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)