Mar 24, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
Maybe the Pittsburgh Penguins aren’t getting in the Jarome Iginla derby after all.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports the Pens and Dallas Stars are close to a deal that would send Stars captain Brenden Morrow to Pittsburgh in exchange for prospect defenseman Joe Morrow. The catch here is that Morrow (Dallas’ Morrow that is) has a no-trade clause and he has yet to waive it.
Dallas and Pittsburgh getting together on another deal may be a bit surprising from the Stars’ perspective. Recall two years ago they dealt James Neal and Matt Niskanen to the Penguins in exchange for Alex Goligoski. That deal has worked out rather well in Pittsburgh’s favor.
Pens GM Ray Shero may be looking to strike gold once again with Dallas and getting a player that both Neal and Sidney Crosby know well would help. Crosby and Morrow played together on the 2010 Canadian Olympic team that won gold in Vancouver.
Morrow is on the final year of his contract that comes with a $4.1 million cap hit. The Penguins would be just over $4 million away from the cap should they acquire him.
Update (4:58 p.m. ET): Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun and Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review say the Boston Bruins also have an offer in for Morrow as well and it’s up to him where he’d like to go. Decisions, decisions.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)