Mar 24, 2013, 4:27 PM EST
Maybe the Pittsburgh Penguins aren’t getting in the Jarome Iginla derby after all.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports the Pens and Dallas Stars are close to a deal that would send Stars captain Brenden Morrow to Pittsburgh in exchange for prospect defenseman Joe Morrow. The catch here is that Morrow (Dallas’ Morrow that is) has a no-trade clause and he has yet to waive it.
Dallas and Pittsburgh getting together on another deal may be a bit surprising from the Stars’ perspective. Recall two years ago they dealt James Neal and Matt Niskanen to the Penguins in exchange for Alex Goligoski. That deal has worked out rather well in Pittsburgh’s favor.
Pens GM Ray Shero may be looking to strike gold once again with Dallas and getting a player that both Neal and Sidney Crosby know well would help. Crosby and Morrow played together on the 2010 Canadian Olympic team that won gold in Vancouver.
Morrow is on the final year of his contract that comes with a $4.1 million cap hit. The Penguins would be just over $4 million away from the cap should they acquire him.
Update (4:58 p.m. ET): Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun and Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review say the Boston Bruins also have an offer in for Morrow as well and it’s up to him where he’d like to go. Decisions, decisions.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)