Mar 24, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
Maybe the Pittsburgh Penguins aren’t getting in the Jarome Iginla derby after all.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports the Pens and Dallas Stars are close to a deal that would send Stars captain Brenden Morrow to Pittsburgh in exchange for prospect defenseman Joe Morrow. The catch here is that Morrow (Dallas’ Morrow that is) has a no-trade clause and he has yet to waive it.
Dallas and Pittsburgh getting together on another deal may be a bit surprising from the Stars’ perspective. Recall two years ago they dealt James Neal and Matt Niskanen to the Penguins in exchange for Alex Goligoski. That deal has worked out rather well in Pittsburgh’s favor.
Pens GM Ray Shero may be looking to strike gold once again with Dallas and getting a player that both Neal and Sidney Crosby know well would help. Crosby and Morrow played together on the 2010 Canadian Olympic team that won gold in Vancouver.
Morrow is on the final year of his contract that comes with a $4.1 million cap hit. The Penguins would be just over $4 million away from the cap should they acquire him.
Update (4:58 p.m. ET): Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun and Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review say the Boston Bruins also have an offer in for Morrow as well and it’s up to him where he’d like to go. Decisions, decisions.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (63)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)