Mar 24, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
Maybe the Pittsburgh Penguins aren’t getting in the Jarome Iginla derby after all.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports the Pens and Dallas Stars are close to a deal that would send Stars captain Brenden Morrow to Pittsburgh in exchange for prospect defenseman Joe Morrow. The catch here is that Morrow (Dallas’ Morrow that is) has a no-trade clause and he has yet to waive it.
Dallas and Pittsburgh getting together on another deal may be a bit surprising from the Stars’ perspective. Recall two years ago they dealt James Neal and Matt Niskanen to the Penguins in exchange for Alex Goligoski. That deal has worked out rather well in Pittsburgh’s favor.
Pens GM Ray Shero may be looking to strike gold once again with Dallas and getting a player that both Neal and Sidney Crosby know well would help. Crosby and Morrow played together on the 2010 Canadian Olympic team that won gold in Vancouver.
Morrow is on the final year of his contract that comes with a $4.1 million cap hit. The Penguins would be just over $4 million away from the cap should they acquire him.
Update (4:58 p.m. ET): Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun and Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review say the Boston Bruins also have an offer in for Morrow as well and it’s up to him where he’d like to go. Decisions, decisions.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)