Mar 24, 2013, 10:08 AM EDT
Safe to say things didn’t go well for the Edmonton Oilers last night. They suffered a 3-0 shutout loss at home to the St. Louis Blues on Hockey Night in Canada and after dropping three out of four during a four-game homestand, the fans let them have it raining boos down on them.
Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal hears it from the home team who wasn’t happy with how they played.
“No one wants to hear that, but we didn’t play well,” said Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney. “They pay a lot of money to be here and expect more than what we gave them. You have to play better so you don’t (hear the boos).”
Going without Ryan Nugent-Hopkins the last couple games hasn’t helped them (and now he’s on injured reserve), but them getting closer to eighth in the West (they’re four points back of Dallas) has helped reignite hope in Edmonton.
Like Red said in “The Shawshank Redemption”: “Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.”
The hopes of seeing the Oilers return to the playoffs have upped the expectations of the young stars. Seeing the team not score and watching Nikolai Khabibulin give up bad goals puts a damper on those hopes.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)