Mar 24, 2013, 10:08 AM EDT
Safe to say things didn’t go well for the Edmonton Oilers last night. They suffered a 3-0 shutout loss at home to the St. Louis Blues on Hockey Night in Canada and after dropping three out of four during a four-game homestand, the fans let them have it raining boos down on them.
Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal hears it from the home team who wasn’t happy with how they played.
“No one wants to hear that, but we didn’t play well,” said Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney. “They pay a lot of money to be here and expect more than what we gave them. You have to play better so you don’t (hear the boos).”
Going without Ryan Nugent-Hopkins the last couple games hasn’t helped them (and now he’s on injured reserve), but them getting closer to eighth in the West (they’re four points back of Dallas) has helped reignite hope in Edmonton.
Like Red said in “The Shawshank Redemption”: “Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.”
The hopes of seeing the Oilers return to the playoffs have upped the expectations of the young stars. Seeing the team not score and watching Nikolai Khabibulin give up bad goals puts a damper on those hopes.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)