Mar 24, 2013, 10:08 AM EST
Safe to say things didn’t go well for the Edmonton Oilers last night. They suffered a 3-0 shutout loss at home to the St. Louis Blues on Hockey Night in Canada and after dropping three out of four during a four-game homestand, the fans let them have it raining boos down on them.
Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal hears it from the home team who wasn’t happy with how they played.
“No one wants to hear that, but we didn’t play well,” said Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney. “They pay a lot of money to be here and expect more than what we gave them. You have to play better so you don’t (hear the boos).”
Going without Ryan Nugent-Hopkins the last couple games hasn’t helped them (and now he’s on injured reserve), but them getting closer to eighth in the West (they’re four points back of Dallas) has helped reignite hope in Edmonton.
Like Red said in “The Shawshank Redemption”: “Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.”
The hopes of seeing the Oilers return to the playoffs have upped the expectations of the young stars. Seeing the team not score and watching Nikolai Khabibulin give up bad goals puts a damper on those hopes.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)