Mar 24, 2013, 10:08 AM EST
Safe to say things didn’t go well for the Edmonton Oilers last night. They suffered a 3-0 shutout loss at home to the St. Louis Blues on Hockey Night in Canada and after dropping three out of four during a four-game homestand, the fans let them have it raining boos down on them.
Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal hears it from the home team who wasn’t happy with how they played.
“No one wants to hear that, but we didn’t play well,” said Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney. “They pay a lot of money to be here and expect more than what we gave them. You have to play better so you don’t (hear the boos).”
Going without Ryan Nugent-Hopkins the last couple games hasn’t helped them (and now he’s on injured reserve), but them getting closer to eighth in the West (they’re four points back of Dallas) has helped reignite hope in Edmonton.
Like Red said in “The Shawshank Redemption”: “Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.”
The hopes of seeing the Oilers return to the playoffs have upped the expectations of the young stars. Seeing the team not score and watching Nikolai Khabibulin give up bad goals puts a damper on those hopes.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)