Mar 24, 2013, 10:08 AM EDT
Safe to say things didn’t go well for the Edmonton Oilers last night. They suffered a 3-0 shutout loss at home to the St. Louis Blues on Hockey Night in Canada and after dropping three out of four during a four-game homestand, the fans let them have it raining boos down on them.
Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal hears it from the home team who wasn’t happy with how they played.
“No one wants to hear that, but we didn’t play well,” said Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney. “They pay a lot of money to be here and expect more than what we gave them. You have to play better so you don’t (hear the boos).”
Going without Ryan Nugent-Hopkins the last couple games hasn’t helped them (and now he’s on injured reserve), but them getting closer to eighth in the West (they’re four points back of Dallas) has helped reignite hope in Edmonton.
Like Red said in “The Shawshank Redemption”: “Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.”
The hopes of seeing the Oilers return to the playoffs have upped the expectations of the young stars. Seeing the team not score and watching Nikolai Khabibulin give up bad goals puts a damper on those hopes.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)