Mar 24, 2013, 9:29 PM EDT
Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk told the team’s Web site that moving the team’s former captain was especially tough.
“Yep. I love the guy. We’ve had some emotional talks over the years,” Nieuwendyk said. “I have nothing but the utmost respect for him, what he has done for the franchise and the way he plays. He did that to his last game. He’ll always be considered a Dallas Star. He also knows he’s got some fight left in him, but it’s clear what we are doing here, too. We’ve incorporated some young prospects. We’ve signed Ray Whitney and Jaromir Jagr and I think he realizes that his best opportunity to do what he wants to do over the next two or three years is to go play with Pittsburgh in the playoffs.”
Morrow, 34, has been the topic of trade speculation for some time, yet it was still a big moment for the team.
Nieuwendyk notes that the trade gives the former captain a chance with the contending Penguins while opening up an opportunity with former first-rounder Joe Morrow. He seems excited about the 20-year-old defenseman.
” … He plays a real quick game, he defends well,” Morrow said. “He’s not a punishing guy, but he’s a real good puck transporter. He’s a solid player, over 200 pounds. He’s just an all-around player that can move with the puck.”
- Kronwalled: Red Wings D levels Lightning’s Kucherov 9
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)