Mar 24, 2013, 9:29 PM EDT
Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk told the team’s Web site that moving the team’s former captain was especially tough.
“Yep. I love the guy. We’ve had some emotional talks over the years,” Nieuwendyk said. “I have nothing but the utmost respect for him, what he has done for the franchise and the way he plays. He did that to his last game. He’ll always be considered a Dallas Star. He also knows he’s got some fight left in him, but it’s clear what we are doing here, too. We’ve incorporated some young prospects. We’ve signed Ray Whitney and Jaromir Jagr and I think he realizes that his best opportunity to do what he wants to do over the next two or three years is to go play with Pittsburgh in the playoffs.”
Morrow, 34, has been the topic of trade speculation for some time, yet it was still a big moment for the team.
Nieuwendyk notes that the trade gives the former captain a chance with the contending Penguins while opening up an opportunity with former first-rounder Joe Morrow. He seems excited about the 20-year-old defenseman.
” … He plays a real quick game, he defends well,” Morrow said. “He’s not a punishing guy, but he’s a real good puck transporter. He’s a solid player, over 200 pounds. He’s just an all-around player that can move with the puck.”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)