Mar 24, 2013, 9:29 PM EST
Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk told the team’s Web site that moving the team’s former captain was especially tough.
“Yep. I love the guy. We’ve had some emotional talks over the years,” Nieuwendyk said. “I have nothing but the utmost respect for him, what he has done for the franchise and the way he plays. He did that to his last game. He’ll always be considered a Dallas Star. He also knows he’s got some fight left in him, but it’s clear what we are doing here, too. We’ve incorporated some young prospects. We’ve signed Ray Whitney and Jaromir Jagr and I think he realizes that his best opportunity to do what he wants to do over the next two or three years is to go play with Pittsburgh in the playoffs.”
Morrow, 34, has been the topic of trade speculation for some time, yet it was still a big moment for the team.
Nieuwendyk notes that the trade gives the former captain a chance with the contending Penguins while opening up an opportunity with former first-rounder Joe Morrow. He seems excited about the 20-year-old defenseman.
” … He plays a real quick game, he defends well,” Morrow said. “He’s not a punishing guy, but he’s a real good puck transporter. He’s a solid player, over 200 pounds. He’s just an all-around player that can move with the puck.”
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 13
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)