Mar 24, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
The most amazing part, for some, was that Shannon reminded the hockey world that both Sarich and Babchuk have no-trade clauses.
Babchuk, 28, has appeared in two regular season games in 2013, collecting an assist. If you want to make an argument for his value, he was known for having a thunderous slap shot.
Sarich, 34, managed to get in 11 contests, but his -7 rating and average of about 13 minutes per game won’t blow people away. He does have a surprising amount of experience (898 regular season games played) and a Stanley Cup on his resume, however.
Still, for most, it was a report that was good for laughs. We’ll see if the marginal blueliners get packaged in a deal of some kind (with Iginla, perhaps?) or moved on their own or stay put.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 3
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 16
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 78
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 35
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (78)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)