Mar 24, 2013, 10:40 PM EST
The most amazing part, for some, was that Shannon reminded the hockey world that both Sarich and Babchuk have no-trade clauses.
Babchuk, 28, has appeared in two regular season games in 2013, collecting an assist. If you want to make an argument for his value, he was known for having a thunderous slap shot.
Sarich, 34, managed to get in 11 contests, but his -7 rating and average of about 13 minutes per game won’t blow people away. He does have a surprising amount of experience (898 regular season games played) and a Stanley Cup on his resume, however.
Still, for most, it was a report that was good for laughs. We’ll see if the marginal blueliners get packaged in a deal of some kind (with Iginla, perhaps?) or moved on their own or stay put.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 43
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32