Mar 24, 2013, 12:55 PM EST
Remember Radek Dvorak? He played for the Dallas Stars last season and has a 15-season NHL record to his name. Well, he’s coming back to North America after signing a one-year pro-rated $675,000 deal with the Anaheim Ducks as TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports. There is a catch, however.
He’s got to make it through waivers if he wants to play for Anaheim.
Dvorak spent this season playing for Davos in Switzerland and now that their season is over, he’s coming back stateside. Any player looking to play in the NHL from Europe has to go through waivers first and that usually means whoever signs them isn’t likely to get them.
We’ve seen players do this in past seasons, most notably Antti Miettinen, Evgeni Nabokov, and Marek Svatos only to see them all claimed on waivers by other teams. Miettinen was signed by Tampa Bay only to be claimed by Winnipeg, Nabokov wanted to join Detroit but landed on Long Island, and the very forgettable Svatos was signed by St. Louis and was picked off by Nashville.
Ducks fans might want to hold off on getting that Dvorak jersey for the time being.
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 6
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 12
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 10
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 14
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 14
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 35
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 46
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 34
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)