Mar 24, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Remember Radek Dvorak? He played for the Dallas Stars last season and has a 15-season NHL record to his name. Well, he’s coming back to North America after signing a one-year pro-rated $675,000 deal with the Anaheim Ducks as TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports. There is a catch, however.
He’s got to make it through waivers if he wants to play for Anaheim.
Dvorak spent this season playing for Davos in Switzerland and now that their season is over, he’s coming back stateside. Any player looking to play in the NHL from Europe has to go through waivers first and that usually means whoever signs them isn’t likely to get them.
We’ve seen players do this in past seasons, most notably Antti Miettinen, Evgeni Nabokov, and Marek Svatos only to see them all claimed on waivers by other teams. Miettinen was signed by Tampa Bay only to be claimed by Winnipeg, Nabokov wanted to join Detroit but landed on Long Island, and the very forgettable Svatos was signed by St. Louis and was picked off by Nashville.
Ducks fans might want to hold off on getting that Dvorak jersey for the time being.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)