Mar 24, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Remember Radek Dvorak? He played for the Dallas Stars last season and has a 15-season NHL record to his name. Well, he’s coming back to North America after signing a one-year pro-rated $675,000 deal with the Anaheim Ducks as TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports. There is a catch, however.
He’s got to make it through waivers if he wants to play for Anaheim.
Dvorak spent this season playing for Davos in Switzerland and now that their season is over, he’s coming back stateside. Any player looking to play in the NHL from Europe has to go through waivers first and that usually means whoever signs them isn’t likely to get them.
We’ve seen players do this in past seasons, most notably Antti Miettinen, Evgeni Nabokov, and Marek Svatos only to see them all claimed on waivers by other teams. Miettinen was signed by Tampa Bay only to be claimed by Winnipeg, Nabokov wanted to join Detroit but landed on Long Island, and the very forgettable Svatos was signed by St. Louis and was picked off by Nashville.
Ducks fans might want to hold off on getting that Dvorak jersey for the time being.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 44
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)