Mar 24, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Remember Radek Dvorak? He played for the Dallas Stars last season and has a 15-season NHL record to his name. Well, he’s coming back to North America after signing a one-year pro-rated $675,000 deal with the Anaheim Ducks as TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports. There is a catch, however.
He’s got to make it through waivers if he wants to play for Anaheim.
Dvorak spent this season playing for Davos in Switzerland and now that their season is over, he’s coming back stateside. Any player looking to play in the NHL from Europe has to go through waivers first and that usually means whoever signs them isn’t likely to get them.
We’ve seen players do this in past seasons, most notably Antti Miettinen, Evgeni Nabokov, and Marek Svatos only to see them all claimed on waivers by other teams. Miettinen was signed by Tampa Bay only to be claimed by Winnipeg, Nabokov wanted to join Detroit but landed on Long Island, and the very forgettable Svatos was signed by St. Louis and was picked off by Nashville.
Ducks fans might want to hold off on getting that Dvorak jersey for the time being.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)