Mar 24, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Remember Radek Dvorak? He played for the Dallas Stars last season and has a 15-season NHL record to his name. Well, he’s coming back to North America after signing a one-year pro-rated $675,000 deal with the Anaheim Ducks as TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports. There is a catch, however.
He’s got to make it through waivers if he wants to play for Anaheim.
Dvorak spent this season playing for Davos in Switzerland and now that their season is over, he’s coming back stateside. Any player looking to play in the NHL from Europe has to go through waivers first and that usually means whoever signs them isn’t likely to get them.
We’ve seen players do this in past seasons, most notably Antti Miettinen, Evgeni Nabokov, and Marek Svatos only to see them all claimed on waivers by other teams. Miettinen was signed by Tampa Bay only to be claimed by Winnipeg, Nabokov wanted to join Detroit but landed on Long Island, and the very forgettable Svatos was signed by St. Louis and was picked off by Nashville.
Ducks fans might want to hold off on getting that Dvorak jersey for the time being.
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury (Updated) 8
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 26
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)