Mar 24, 2013, 1:18 AM EST
Colorado Avalanche goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere knew something wasn’t right with the hockey team in front of him Saturday.
Giguere, the 35-year-old netminder who replaced Semyon Varlamov in the second period of Colorado’s 5-2 loss to the Dallas Stars, then went on a fairly long rant about the Avalanche’s lack of preparation, focus and desperation.
“We had a big meeting two or three days ago, a players-only meeting. We talked about some stuff and I thought we had a good response against Dallas at home (Wednesday). Then we have a day off, then come back and practice, and I thought our practice was just awful,” Giguere told the Denver Post.
“The effort wasn’t there. We practiced defensive zone coverage, and guys weren’t taking the body and swirling and stuff like that. This is the stuff we have to work on every day. I told a couple of the guys that ‘I don’t think we’ll have a good game today.’
“It’s unacceptable. It’s an everyday job. You’ve got to work hard every day. You’ve got to be a lot more desperate than that.”
The Avalanche had a chance Saturday to move past the Calgary Flames and, for the moment, out of the basement in the Western Conference standings.
The Stars, with the win, moved into the eighth seed in the West with 33 points.
The leaped one point ahead of the San Jose Sharks – 2-0 losers against the Minnesota Wild earlier in the day.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 62
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 7
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (112)