Mar 23, 2013, 7:16 PM EST
Don Lucia will be the man behind the bench when the U.S. national junior team looks to defend its gold medal title at the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship.
USA Hockey announced during a press conference at the Xcel Energy Center that Lucia will coach the 2014 world junior team. The 2013 squad, coached by former NHL defenseman Phil Housley, won gold in January.
“We’re extremely pleased to have Don as the head coach of our National Junior Team,” said Jim Johannson, assistant executive director for hockey operations at USA Hockey, in a statement.
“He has developed some of the best American-born players over the last 25 years and has excelled at each stop in his career. He’s a proven winner and without question one of our nation’s premier coaches.”
Lucia has recorded 622 wins as a head coach at the NCAA Division I level.
The 2014 tournament runs Dec. 26, 2013 to Jan. 5, 2014 in Malmo, Sweden.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 1
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 16
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)