Mar 23, 2013, 7:16 PM EST
Don Lucia will be the man behind the bench when the U.S. national junior team looks to defend its gold medal title at the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship.
USA Hockey announced during a press conference at the Xcel Energy Center that Lucia will coach the 2014 world junior team. The 2013 squad, coached by former NHL defenseman Phil Housley, won gold in January.
“We’re extremely pleased to have Don as the head coach of our National Junior Team,” said Jim Johannson, assistant executive director for hockey operations at USA Hockey, in a statement.
“He has developed some of the best American-born players over the last 25 years and has excelled at each stop in his career. He’s a proven winner and without question one of our nation’s premier coaches.”
Lucia has recorded 622 wins as a head coach at the NCAA Division I level.
The 2014 tournament runs Dec. 26, 2013 to Jan. 5, 2014 in Malmo, Sweden.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46