Mar 23, 2013, 7:16 PM EDT
Don Lucia will be the man behind the bench when the U.S. national junior team looks to defend its gold medal title at the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship.
USA Hockey announced during a press conference at the Xcel Energy Center that Lucia will coach the 2014 world junior team. The 2013 squad, coached by former NHL defenseman Phil Housley, won gold in January.
“We’re extremely pleased to have Don as the head coach of our National Junior Team,” said Jim Johannson, assistant executive director for hockey operations at USA Hockey, in a statement.
“He has developed some of the best American-born players over the last 25 years and has excelled at each stop in his career. He’s a proven winner and without question one of our nation’s premier coaches.”
Lucia has recorded 622 wins as a head coach at the NCAA Division I level.
The 2014 tournament runs Dec. 26, 2013 to Jan. 5, 2014 in Malmo, Sweden.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 7
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 12
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 22
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)