Mar 23, 2013, 7:16 PM EDT
Don Lucia will be the man behind the bench when the U.S. national junior team looks to defend its gold medal title at the 2014 IIHF World Junior Championship.
USA Hockey announced during a press conference at the Xcel Energy Center that Lucia will coach the 2014 world junior team. The 2013 squad, coached by former NHL defenseman Phil Housley, won gold in January.
“We’re extremely pleased to have Don as the head coach of our National Junior Team,” said Jim Johannson, assistant executive director for hockey operations at USA Hockey, in a statement.
“He has developed some of the best American-born players over the last 25 years and has excelled at each stop in his career. He’s a proven winner and without question one of our nation’s premier coaches.”
Lucia has recorded 622 wins as a head coach at the NCAA Division I level.
The 2014 tournament runs Dec. 26, 2013 to Jan. 5, 2014 in Malmo, Sweden.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 12
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 10
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 20
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 41
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)