Mar 23, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
No. 1 UMass-Lowell Riverhawks vs. No. 3 Boston University Terriers — 7:00 p.m. ET
UMass-Lowell won season series 3-0-0
Yesterday’s semifinals turned out to be surprising for Boston University and went according to plan for UMass-Lowell. The Terriers got down 2-0 to hated rival Boston College only to storm back with five unanswered goals to roar into the finals with a 6-3 victory. Meanwhile, the Riverhawks got the kind of test from Providence’s Jon Gillies they were expecting as he stood on his head to keep the scoring down only to break through in the third period to win 2-1.
While Lowell has a NCAA tournament berth virtually locked up, even with all of the upsets yesterday, BU needs to win to make the big dance. One of the keys they needed yesterday was a standout performance in goal from freshman Sean Maguire and they got it as he stopped 41 shots. He’ll need to do more of the same against an equally potent Lowell lineup.
For BU to get the kind of output they got yesterday could be asking a lot of them. Lowell’s freshman goalie Connor Hellebuyck did his thing again yesterday stopping 33 of 34 shots to hold down the fort. The Terriers getting to BC goalie Parker Milner is one thing, but scoring on Lowell is something they haven’t done well this year. The Terriers have just four goals in three games against Lowell with three of those coming in the teams first meeting of the season with their backup, Doug Carr, in goal.
Beating Hellebuyck will require a big effort from the guys who showed up big last night. Forwards Matt Nieto, Wade Megan, and Danny O’Regan will have to lead the way to get coach Jack Parker back in the NCAA tournament one last time before retiring. If BU can’t hold down the likes of Scott Wilson, Joseph Pendenza, Riley Wetmore, and Derek Arnold, however, it’ll be all for naught.
(Photo: Boston Globe)
Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 AM EST
Four straight wins for Anaheim.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST
Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
What a roll he and the Sens are on.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST
He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
What better way to make an impression on new teammates.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:26 PM EST
Good news for NYR.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:48 PM EST
Big Buff doing Big Buff things.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST
Also, for causing “significant injury.”
Mar 4, 2015, 7:23 PM EST
8 p.m. ET, on NBCSN
Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
An Original Six matchup at the Joe.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:32 PM EST
Hurt it in practice.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Another small crowd last night at BB&T Center.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 4, 2015, 2:09 PM EST
“You can never have too many d-men at this time of the year.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)