Mar 23, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
No. 1 UMass-Lowell Riverhawks vs. No. 3 Boston University Terriers — 7:00 p.m. ET
UMass-Lowell won season series 3-0-0
Yesterday’s semifinals turned out to be surprising for Boston University and went according to plan for UMass-Lowell. The Terriers got down 2-0 to hated rival Boston College only to storm back with five unanswered goals to roar into the finals with a 6-3 victory. Meanwhile, the Riverhawks got the kind of test from Providence’s Jon Gillies they were expecting as he stood on his head to keep the scoring down only to break through in the third period to win 2-1.
While Lowell has a NCAA tournament berth virtually locked up, even with all of the upsets yesterday, BU needs to win to make the big dance. One of the keys they needed yesterday was a standout performance in goal from freshman Sean Maguire and they got it as he stopped 41 shots. He’ll need to do more of the same against an equally potent Lowell lineup.
For BU to get the kind of output they got yesterday could be asking a lot of them. Lowell’s freshman goalie Connor Hellebuyck did his thing again yesterday stopping 33 of 34 shots to hold down the fort. The Terriers getting to BC goalie Parker Milner is one thing, but scoring on Lowell is something they haven’t done well this year. The Terriers have just four goals in three games against Lowell with three of those coming in the teams first meeting of the season with their backup, Doug Carr, in goal.
Beating Hellebuyck will require a big effort from the guys who showed up big last night. Forwards Matt Nieto, Wade Megan, and Danny O’Regan will have to lead the way to get coach Jack Parker back in the NCAA tournament one last time before retiring. If BU can’t hold down the likes of Scott Wilson, Joseph Pendenza, Riley Wetmore, and Derek Arnold, however, it’ll be all for naught.
(Photo: Boston Globe)
Sep 4, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
Friday’s interesting tidbits in one spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
His critics get one fewer straw to grasp.
Sep 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
He’ll reportedly work in the player development department.
Sep 4, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
GM Jeff Gorton is excited to bring him back to New York.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Everyone that was at his Hamburg home during the night of the alleged incident, to be exacted.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
He’s recovering from a broken right wrist.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A summer of change provides “a fresh start.”
Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play beyond Feb. 25.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”
Sep 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
His availability for the season opener is in doubt.
Sep 3, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT
Bruins d-man is using them as motivation for a bounce-back campaign.
Sep 3, 2015, 1:02 PM EDT
This should be good.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT
Where he worked with — wait for it — current Minnesota starter Devan Dubnyk.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 3
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 6
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)