Mar 23, 2013, 2:16 PM EDT
Buffalo’s Drew Stafford may be a former 30-goal scorer, but that’s not enough to keep him in the Buffalo Sabres lineup tonight against Montreal.
Stafford will watch tonight’s game against the Canadiens from the press box as The Buffalo News’ John Vogl shares, and he’s disappointed in himself for earning coach Ron Rolston’s ire.
“It’s definitely disappointing, but it’s his decision and something I have to respect,” Stafford said in Bell Centre. “I have to work my way back into the lineup. It’s no secret I haven’t been getting on the score sheet.”
He can say that again. Stafford has just four goals this season in 31 games with two of those coming against Ottawa a week ago today. He’s gone without a goal in three straight since then. He hasn’t been alone in getting healthy scratched lately as Jochen Hecht, Nathan Gerbe, and Patrick Kaleta have all been benched in the past month.
With the Sabres earning points in four of their last five games, winning three of those, the benchings will continue until the message gets through.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 22
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)