Mar 23, 2013, 2:16 PM EDT
Buffalo’s Drew Stafford may be a former 30-goal scorer, but that’s not enough to keep him in the Buffalo Sabres lineup tonight against Montreal.
Stafford will watch tonight’s game against the Canadiens from the press box as The Buffalo News’ John Vogl shares, and he’s disappointed in himself for earning coach Ron Rolston’s ire.
“It’s definitely disappointing, but it’s his decision and something I have to respect,” Stafford said in Bell Centre. “I have to work my way back into the lineup. It’s no secret I haven’t been getting on the score sheet.”
He can say that again. Stafford has just four goals this season in 31 games with two of those coming against Ottawa a week ago today. He’s gone without a goal in three straight since then. He hasn’t been alone in getting healthy scratched lately as Jochen Hecht, Nathan Gerbe, and Patrick Kaleta have all been benched in the past month.
With the Sabres earning points in four of their last five games, winning three of those, the benchings will continue until the message gets through.
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 3
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 39
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 17
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 60
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 24
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 64
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1