Mar 23, 2013, 2:16 PM EST
Buffalo’s Drew Stafford may be a former 30-goal scorer, but that’s not enough to keep him in the Buffalo Sabres lineup tonight against Montreal.
Stafford will watch tonight’s game against the Canadiens from the press box as The Buffalo News’ John Vogl shares, and he’s disappointed in himself for earning coach Ron Rolston’s ire.
“It’s definitely disappointing, but it’s his decision and something I have to respect,” Stafford said in Bell Centre. “I have to work my way back into the lineup. It’s no secret I haven’t been getting on the score sheet.”
He can say that again. Stafford has just four goals this season in 31 games with two of those coming against Ottawa a week ago today. He’s gone without a goal in three straight since then. He hasn’t been alone in getting healthy scratched lately as Jochen Hecht, Nathan Gerbe, and Patrick Kaleta have all been benched in the past month.
With the Sabres earning points in four of their last five games, winning three of those, the benchings will continue until the message gets through.
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 2
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 57
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 80
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (80)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)