Mar 23, 2013, 9:49 AM EDT
Life is good for hockey in Canada these days. All seven Canadian franchises are within striking distance of or in a playoff spot and pride has never been higher. Now they’re going to get exhibition games back in some cities itchy for more action.
The Canadian Press reports the city of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan will be getting a pair of preseason games next season. One game will feature the Ottawa Senators facing the Calgary Flames on September 16 and the Winnipeg Jets will face the Boston Bruins on September 27.
The games will take place at the 15,000 seat Credit Union Centre, home of the Saskatoon Blades junior hockey team. Unsurprisingly, this works as a move to help spread the footprint of the Winnipeg Jets across central Canada. The two cities are a healthy eight-hour drive apart.
This will also double as a means for the city of Saskatoon to show off how well it can handle pro hockey. There have been rumors in the past, both distant and more recent, about their desire to be a prairie outpost for the NHL. The city even has Don Cherry backing their cause so they’ve got that going for them.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 23
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 50
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)