Mar 23, 2013, 9:49 AM EDT
Life is good for hockey in Canada these days. All seven Canadian franchises are within striking distance of or in a playoff spot and pride has never been higher. Now they’re going to get exhibition games back in some cities itchy for more action.
The Canadian Press reports the city of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan will be getting a pair of preseason games next season. One game will feature the Ottawa Senators facing the Calgary Flames on September 16 and the Winnipeg Jets will face the Boston Bruins on September 27.
The games will take place at the 15,000 seat Credit Union Centre, home of the Saskatoon Blades junior hockey team. Unsurprisingly, this works as a move to help spread the footprint of the Winnipeg Jets across central Canada. The two cities are a healthy eight-hour drive apart.
This will also double as a means for the city of Saskatoon to show off how well it can handle pro hockey. There have been rumors in the past, both distant and more recent, about their desire to be a prairie outpost for the NHL. The city even has Don Cherry backing their cause so they’ve got that going for them.
- Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout 0
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 12
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 5
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 47
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)