Mar 23, 2013, 7:56 PM EST
There was more discussion Saturday as to whether the Tampa Bay Lightning would move small but skilled forward Martin St. Louis.
“Let’s remember, too, that this is a situation – a lot like (Jarome Iginla) – the one person that can decide whether he wants to stay or be traded is Martin St. Louis,” Sportsnet’s John Shannon said during Hockey Central’s Trade Tracker on Saturday afternoon.
Jason York added during the same segment that he does not believe St. Louis will be traded, however he did list the Boston Bruins and New York Rangers as possible destinations St. Louis could be traded to.
St. Louis, at the age of 37, has seven goals and 39 points in 31 games. That puts him fourth overall in league scoring.
Not bad for someone pushing 40 years of age. If age is at all a concern for NHL general managers interested in acquiring the 5’8″ winger, then St. Louis is proving his doubters wrong.
“As you get older, I think people are expecting you to slow down,” St. Louis recently told the National Post.
“And if you let that creep into your head, I think it’s just going to speed up the process of slowing down, you know?
“I try to take care of my body and stay in good shape … I feel good out there. I don’t know what you’re supposed to feel like at 37 — this is my first time.”
There has been talk, as recently as six days ago, that the Lightning may consider trading St. Louis, who has one more year left on his four-year, $22.5 million contract.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)