Mar 23, 2013, 7:56 PM EDT
There was more discussion Saturday as to whether the Tampa Bay Lightning would move small but skilled forward Martin St. Louis.
“Let’s remember, too, that this is a situation – a lot like (Jarome Iginla) – the one person that can decide whether he wants to stay or be traded is Martin St. Louis,” Sportsnet’s John Shannon said during Hockey Central’s Trade Tracker on Saturday afternoon.
Jason York added during the same segment that he does not believe St. Louis will be traded, however he did list the Boston Bruins and New York Rangers as possible destinations St. Louis could be traded to.
St. Louis, at the age of 37, has seven goals and 39 points in 31 games. That puts him fourth overall in league scoring.
Not bad for someone pushing 40 years of age. If age is at all a concern for NHL general managers interested in acquiring the 5’8″ winger, then St. Louis is proving his doubters wrong.
“As you get older, I think people are expecting you to slow down,” St. Louis recently told the National Post.
“And if you let that creep into your head, I think it’s just going to speed up the process of slowing down, you know?
“I try to take care of my body and stay in good shape … I feel good out there. I don’t know what you’re supposed to feel like at 37 — this is my first time.”
There has been talk, as recently as six days ago, that the Lightning may consider trading St. Louis, who has one more year left on his four-year, $22.5 million contract.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)