Lupul owns up for hit, clarifies confusion over suspension standards

Mar 23, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT

Joffrey Lupul Getty Images

Make no mistake about it, Joffrey Lupul still wants to know where the line is drawn for suspensions. When he tweeted out his displeasure over seeing Rick Nash not being suspended while he sat for his own misgivings, it was thought he couldn’t own up to his own wrongdoing.

As Lupul told media today in Toronto, that’s not the case. He would still like to have more clarity about what is or isn’t a clean hit. Dave Hilson of The Toronto Sun shares.

“The Rangers are three points behind us and he’s playing tonight and I’m not. That part is frustrating for our team and our organization … I’m not trying to say that my hit didn’t warrant any discipline, I owned up to it after I saw the video. It was an illegal check … I suppose I’m just a little confused by the whole process.”

Judging by the outrage over Nash not being suspended for his hit on Tomas Kopecky, he’s not alone. Even with Brendan Shanahan explaining why it didn’t warrant a suspension, it didn’t do much to calm down fans desiring “justice” for what appeared to be a blind side head shot.

1. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Mar 23, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Can you blame him? If his hit was worth two games then Nash’s was at least worth a fine.

2. stakex - Mar 23, 2013 at 4:58 PM

All he has to do is watch the videos from the league…. they explain it quite well.

Nash’s hit certainly should have been a penelty, but nothing about it warrents a suspension. It wasn’t a head shot. Lupuls hit is a blind side head shot, where the head was clearly targeted and the principle point of contact. Worlds of difference between the two.

If you need more explination as to why one was a suspension and the other wasn’t, you’re and idiot or simply bias.

• nickdipaola - Mar 23, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Stakex – The fact that you can’t spell explanation or penalty properly scares me…

• lesleyvissersfacelift - Mar 23, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Stakex, we’ve seen enough of your posts to know you root for the Rangers, so clearly you’re guilty of the same bias that you’re so quick to lay on others. We’ve also seen your continued problems with the spelling of the word “penalty”, which is amusing. Pick up a dictionary, dude.

• raoool - Mar 23, 2013 at 9:13 PM

actually warrants even further review

3. kgun80 - Mar 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Stakex.. Your right all they have to do is watch the videos. He would then see clear evidence that his Jeresy says Lupul.. And the other guys jersey says Nash. This is the third thread I’ve seen posters stating that Nash didn’t deserve any disciplinary action. He put his elbow into a players neck from behind while leaving his skates. … I know, I know you played hockey at a high level so you understand it better than other posters(I’ve seen you on here before so I have heard your arguments before). The fact is.. It was a dirty hit.. He deserved to be suspended at least a game. Yes I am aware that it was the neck and not the head.. It was dangerous and he showed complete disregard for his fellow players safety . If he wasn’t a Ranger you would be calling for his suspension just like everyone else( including other Rangers fans I’ve seen on these threads) so yes your right all opposing opinions to you are stupid.. Lol.

4. 950003cups - Mar 23, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I didn’t think Nash deserved a suspension. One player was in the slot alone. You have to hit him. I thought Nash point of contact was Kopecky’s back or lower neck. Lupul’s hit was blindsided on a guy 2 feet taller than him. You can’t hit Hedman’s head by accident. It was the only point of contact. You have to try hard to make that hit. It was similar to Giroux’s hit on Zubrus in the playoffs.

5. sixshooter90 - Mar 23, 2013 at 5:46 PM

stakex- 1 word idiot

6. govtminion - Mar 23, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I continue to believe that having one person decide whether a hit is punishable or not is a bad idea- having a small committee in place would sure help, one would have to think. Neither Shanahan nor his predecessor Campbell have had much success in making a fair system.

7. ndrick731 - Mar 23, 2013 at 6:47 PM

So lupul wants an explanation. It’s real simple Jeff. Don’t hit people in the head jack ass.

8. yvrmike - Mar 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Stakex and ndrnick it should be mandatory for both of you to read Lupuls comments before you respond
    Make an effort to read the headline.
    In case you did not understand what Lupul said is that “he agrees with the punishment he got BUT he disagrees with the NO punishment Nash got”

Top 10 NHL Player Searches