Mar 23, 2013, 6:37 PM EST
Two straight wins followed by three straight losses and repeat has been the Calgary Flames’ theme for the month of March.
On Friday, the Flames were beaten 5-1 by the Columbus Blue Jackets. Columbus extended its streak to a team-best 12th straight game with a point.
Meanwhile, things aren’t going well in Calgary. The Flames’ 11-14-4 record – and 26 points – is identical to that of the Colorado Avalanche, as they duel to stay out of the bottom of the Western Conference standings.
The Flames’ veteran goalie Miikka Kiprusoff wasn’t happy with the loss to Columbus and seems to be doing a slow boil about continued struggles in his play and that of his teammates in front of him.
“It was a tough night,” Kiprusoff told the Calgary Sun.
“As a goalie, five goals is no excuses, but I think they did get quite many quality chances tonight. Pretty tough game.
“It’s not pointing fingers. We are a team here. Five goals, it’s a tough game.”
Kiprusoff, 36, has allowed five goals in each of his last two starts – both losses for the Flames.
That’s a combined 10 goals on 51 shots in two games. But the problems aren’t necessarily all on the goaltender.
“As a goalie, you’re always the last guy standing. But the chances we’re giving … we can blame the goalie if that’s our wish but I don’t blame Miikka one bit,” Flames coach Bob Hartley told the Calgary Herald.
“We don’t give him a chance and we’ve giving up point-blank chances. We’re in the NHL. Those guys know how to shoot pucks.’’
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 23
- Mike Richards clears waivers 29
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)