Mar 23, 2013, 2:01 AM EST
Given the result, it can be easy to suggest the Anaheim Ducks had an emotional letdown Friday night against the Detroit Red Wings, given they pulled off a dramatic third-period comeback to beat the Chicago Blackhawks in a battle of the top two teams in the Western Conference two days before.
The Ducks, also riding a 12-game point streak and with a chance to get within a point of the Blackhawks in the conference standings, fell flat by a score of 5-1 to the Red Wings.
Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau was asked if there was a letdown from his team. His response was recorded on the Ducks’ official Twitter account, seen below:
Bruce Boudreau asked if there is letdown potential after that Chicago game: "We're playing Detroit. We're not playing a bag of beans here."—
Anaheim Ducks (@AnaheimDucks) March 22, 2013
Things started out well for the Ducks. Teemu Selanne opened the scoring just past the midway point of the first period, but it got progressively worse for Anaheim after that.
The Red Wings scored five unanswered goals.
“After the first goal they got, we were sort of dead in the water the rest of the game,” Boudreau told the Orange County Register.
“I thought the first 10 minutes, we were all over them. We weren’t very good the last 50 minutes.”
Good news for the Ducks: they face the Red Wings again, on home ice, Sunday.
Dec 12, 2013, 11:29 AM EST
File under “things that happen when a team is co-owned by fierce competitors.”
Dec 12, 2013, 10:50 AM EST
Bit of a shakeup in Ottawa.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:39 AM EST
He was injured on a hit by fellow Tampa Bay prospect Adam Erne.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:20 AM EST
He could be back in the lineup next week.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:12 AM EST
They’ve dug themselves a big hole early on.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:10 AM EST
That and all the links you need to start the day.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:15 AM EST
Perhaps up to $71 million for next season.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
Some kind of pace he’s on.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:54 AM EST
Dropped third straight on Tuesday.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:28 AM EST
Couple of beauties.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:04 AM EST
Taking positives, despite result.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:27 PM EST
Interesting comment to make.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:59 PM EST
Turned for the Flyers in second period, got worse from there.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:26 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:43 PM EST
That was fast.
Dec 11, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:07 PM EST
Not a big deal to him, though.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:43 PM EST
Rivalry Night starts with a bang.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:07 PM EST
“I’m sure it’s going to be up there. It’s going to be steep.”
Dec 11, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Tampa Bay-Washington game.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 6
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 73
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)