Mar 23, 2013, 2:01 AM EDT
Given the result, it can be easy to suggest the Anaheim Ducks had an emotional letdown Friday night against the Detroit Red Wings, given they pulled off a dramatic third-period comeback to beat the Chicago Blackhawks in a battle of the top two teams in the Western Conference two days before.
The Ducks, also riding a 12-game point streak and with a chance to get within a point of the Blackhawks in the conference standings, fell flat by a score of 5-1 to the Red Wings.
Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau was asked if there was a letdown from his team. His response was recorded on the Ducks’ official Twitter account, seen below:
Bruce Boudreau asked if there is letdown potential after that Chicago game: "We're playing Detroit. We're not playing a bag of beans here."—
Anaheim Ducks (@AnaheimDucks) March 22, 2013
Things started out well for the Ducks. Teemu Selanne opened the scoring just past the midway point of the first period, but it got progressively worse for Anaheim after that.
The Red Wings scored five unanswered goals.
“After the first goal they got, we were sort of dead in the water the rest of the game,” Boudreau told the Orange County Register.
“I thought the first 10 minutes, we were all over them. We weren’t very good the last 50 minutes.”
Good news for the Ducks: they face the Red Wings again, on home ice, Sunday.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 5
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 5
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 46
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 78
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 48
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks