Mar 23, 2013, 11:48 PM EDT
This much we know: New Jersey Devils star forward Ilya Kovalchuk suffered a shoulder injury in Saturday’s 2-1 victory over the Florida Panthers.
Other than that, details at this time are minimal.
“Shoulder injury. I don’t know the details or the extent yet,” Devils head coach Pete DeBoer told the New York Post.
“He’s obviously probably going to be out at least a short time, so we’ll have to fill that hole.”
DeBoer added to NHL.com: “He’s going to get some testing [Saturday night] and [Sunday] morning and we’ll know more [Sunday].”
Kovalchuk left the game in obvious pain during the third period after losing an edge – as per NHL.com – and crashing into the end boards behind the Panthers’ net.
Kovalchuk, 29, had 10 goals and 27 points in 32 games this season for New Jersey. He had also gone five games, including Saturday against Florida, without a goal.
You don’t want to lose anybody,” Adam Henrique told the Star-Ledger. “(Kovalchuk) is a very important guy to this team on and off the ice.”
Goalie Martin Brodeur, who was credited with a goal against the Carolina Hurricanes earlier in the week, made 17 saves against the Panthers for career win 666.
“My brother is really excited about it. He already put in the call. He wants the stick and everything,” Brodeur told the Star-Ledger. “I guess he’s the real devil maybe.”
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)