Mar 23, 2013, 12:39 AM EST
The Washington Capitals have been playing catch-up all season long, and now, suddenly, the NHL playoffs are a real possibility.
The Capitals had their way on the road with the Winnipeg Jets in back-to-back games, outscoring their Southeast Division opponents 10-1 in that span and coming away with four of a possible four points.
The Capitals left Winnipeg after a convincing 6-1 victory Friday. The Jets’ fans weren’t happy, either, booing the home team.
“We have to be excited about our two wins,” Capitals forward Troy Brouwer told NHL.com.
“They’re very timely, very important, but at the same time we can’t think it’s going to be easy from now on. We go on to New York, play another tough team that is on the bubble right now trying to make the playoffs as well, so it’s going to be a hard game. We just have to play like we did [Friday], not be too overconfident and just play good, solid hockey.”
The Capitals are now 10th in the Eastern Conference, but three points back of the Carolina Hurricanes for that eighth and final playoff spot. As prefaced earlier in the day, the Capitals are now right back in the thick of the playoff race.
Four wins in the last six games can do that.
Alex Ovechkin, who has endured his struggles throughout this season, scored twice Friday and is now up to 15 goals on the season.
He has goals in each of his last four games, and seven points – five of those coming in two games versus the Jets – over that span.
“After that kind of games two games in a row, four points give us confidence we score lots of goals on the road,” Ovechkin told the Washington Post.
“It’s good feelings right now.”
Dec 18, 2013, 4:42 PM EST
Last played in the NHL back in 2005-06.
Dec 18, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
“We have a lot of guys here,” says Patrik Elias.
Dec 18, 2013, 3:50 PM EST
Tough times in T.O.
Dec 18, 2013, 3:36 PM EST
Both players are fortunate there was no serious injury.
Dec 18, 2013, 3:10 PM EST
Bruins GM had a chat with his mischievous player.
Dec 18, 2013, 3:08 PM EST
Detroit forward currently shelved while undergoing concussion protocol.
Dec 18, 2013, 2:21 PM EST
David Clarkson has two goals in 24 games.
Dec 18, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
Already ruled out for Thursday’s tilt vs. Montreal.
Dec 18, 2013, 1:46 PM EST
Just days after Lindy Ruff lamented the club’s lack of blueline experience.
Dec 18, 2013, 1:31 PM EST
Washington rookie will meet with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety on Thursday.
Dec 18, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
Won’t take part in tonight’s rivalry game vs. the Rangers on NBCSN.
Dec 18, 2013, 12:45 PM EST
D-man was invited to Team Canada’s Olympic orientation camp this summer.
Dec 18, 2013, 12:43 PM EST
That’s the “strong sense” one prominent hockey reporter is getting.
Dec 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Former Avalanche forward saw his career end after Todd Bertuzzi incident.
Dec 18, 2013, 11:54 AM EST
“There are multiple, easy avenues that seem like they’re the way to go but there are 30 teams in this league that are doing the same thing and trying to effect that ultimate goal and that’s to win the Stanley Cup.”
Dec 18, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
King Henrik hasn’t been so good since signing that big contract extension.
Dec 18, 2013, 11:12 AM EST
Rookie defenseman scored his first NHL goal earlier this week.
Dec 18, 2013, 11:01 AM EST
Vancouver defenseman was knocked out of Tuesday’s game following a tripping call.
Dec 18, 2013, 10:43 AM EST
Boston forward avoids supplemental discipline.
Dec 18, 2013, 9:45 AM EST
GM George McPhee said it was “a great hit.”
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 22
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 19
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 27
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 30
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 32
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 58
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)