Mar 23, 2013, 12:39 AM EST
The Washington Capitals have been playing catch-up all season long, and now, suddenly, the NHL playoffs are a real possibility.
The Capitals had their way on the road with the Winnipeg Jets in back-to-back games, outscoring their Southeast Division opponents 10-1 in that span and coming away with four of a possible four points.
The Capitals left Winnipeg after a convincing 6-1 victory Friday. The Jets’ fans weren’t happy, either, booing the home team.
“We have to be excited about our two wins,” Capitals forward Troy Brouwer told NHL.com.
“They’re very timely, very important, but at the same time we can’t think it’s going to be easy from now on. We go on to New York, play another tough team that is on the bubble right now trying to make the playoffs as well, so it’s going to be a hard game. We just have to play like we did [Friday], not be too overconfident and just play good, solid hockey.”
The Capitals are now 10th in the Eastern Conference, but three points back of the Carolina Hurricanes for that eighth and final playoff spot. As prefaced earlier in the day, the Capitals are now right back in the thick of the playoff race.
Four wins in the last six games can do that.
Alex Ovechkin, who has endured his struggles throughout this season, scored twice Friday and is now up to 15 goals on the season.
He has goals in each of his last four games, and seven points – five of those coming in two games versus the Jets – over that span.
“After that kind of games two games in a row, four points give us confidence we score lots of goals on the road,” Ovechkin told the Washington Post.
“It’s good feelings right now.”
Nov 22, 2014, 8:53 PM EST
Dealt with injury last season.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:32 PM EST
Fight didn’t last long.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:17 PM EST
“This is the biggest thing I’ve ever seen in my life with Toronto.”
Nov 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EST
Dallas has moved a trio of blue liners recently.
Nov 22, 2014, 7:09 PM EST
“Let the referees do their job, we’ll do our job.”
Nov 22, 2014, 6:31 PM EST
The St. Louis defender had an assist on the eventual winner.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:55 PM EST
Conflicting ideas on whether it was a fight or not.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:27 PM EST
In the rain, too, apparently.
Nov 22, 2014, 4:55 PM EST
“They embarrassed us pretty good in their building.”
Nov 22, 2014, 3:29 PM EST
He’s out Saturday, for sure.
Nov 22, 2014, 2:50 PM EST
A fun way to mislead people about Cory Schneider’s workhorse run.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:55 PM EST
NHL makes it official.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:36 PM EST
Not a lot of good news in Edmonton.
Nov 22, 2014, 12:40 PM EST
“They know who is the man.”
Nov 22, 2014, 11:32 AM EST
Tough loss for Vancouver.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:07 AM EST
His goal got the biggest reaction in Columbus on Friday.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:20 AM EST
He’s been hot in the AHL lately.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
(Waits for “everything” jokes.)
Nov 22, 2014, 1:45 AM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 12:40 AM EST
Booed off the ice at the end of this game.
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 4
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)