Mar 23, 2013, 12:39 AM EST
The Washington Capitals have been playing catch-up all season long, and now, suddenly, the NHL playoffs are a real possibility.
The Capitals had their way on the road with the Winnipeg Jets in back-to-back games, outscoring their Southeast Division opponents 10-1 in that span and coming away with four of a possible four points.
The Capitals left Winnipeg after a convincing 6-1 victory Friday. The Jets’ fans weren’t happy, either, booing the home team.
“We have to be excited about our two wins,” Capitals forward Troy Brouwer told NHL.com.
“They’re very timely, very important, but at the same time we can’t think it’s going to be easy from now on. We go on to New York, play another tough team that is on the bubble right now trying to make the playoffs as well, so it’s going to be a hard game. We just have to play like we did [Friday], not be too overconfident and just play good, solid hockey.”
The Capitals are now 10th in the Eastern Conference, but three points back of the Carolina Hurricanes for that eighth and final playoff spot. As prefaced earlier in the day, the Capitals are now right back in the thick of the playoff race.
Four wins in the last six games can do that.
Alex Ovechkin, who has endured his struggles throughout this season, scored twice Friday and is now up to 15 goals on the season.
He has goals in each of his last four games, and seven points – five of those coming in two games versus the Jets – over that span.
“After that kind of games two games in a row, four points give us confidence we score lots of goals on the road,” Ovechkin told the Washington Post.
“It’s good feelings right now.”
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 0
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 21
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans': Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans': Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)