Mar 23, 2013, 12:39 AM EST
The Washington Capitals have been playing catch-up all season long, and now, suddenly, the NHL playoffs are a real possibility.
The Capitals had their way on the road with the Winnipeg Jets in back-to-back games, outscoring their Southeast Division opponents 10-1 in that span and coming away with four of a possible four points.
The Capitals left Winnipeg after a convincing 6-1 victory Friday. The Jets’ fans weren’t happy, either, booing the home team.
“We have to be excited about our two wins,” Capitals forward Troy Brouwer told NHL.com.
“They’re very timely, very important, but at the same time we can’t think it’s going to be easy from now on. We go on to New York, play another tough team that is on the bubble right now trying to make the playoffs as well, so it’s going to be a hard game. We just have to play like we did [Friday], not be too overconfident and just play good, solid hockey.”
The Capitals are now 10th in the Eastern Conference, but three points back of the Carolina Hurricanes for that eighth and final playoff spot. As prefaced earlier in the day, the Capitals are now right back in the thick of the playoff race.
Four wins in the last six games can do that.
Alex Ovechkin, who has endured his struggles throughout this season, scored twice Friday and is now up to 15 goals on the season.
He has goals in each of his last four games, and seven points – five of those coming in two games versus the Jets – over that span.
“After that kind of games two games in a row, four points give us confidence we score lots of goals on the road,” Ovechkin told the Washington Post.
“It’s good feelings right now.”
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 1
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 32
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 56
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)