Canucks’ Edler: ‘I think I have been a clean player’

Mar 23, 2013, 11:12 PM EST

Vancouver Canucks v Phoenix Coyotes Getty Images

Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alex Edler spoke publicly for the first time since the National Hockey League handed him a two-game suspension for colliding with Phoenix Coyotes goalie Mike Smith on Thursday.

“Obviously I am disappointed I am suspended,” Edler told the Vancouver Sun on Saturday.

“I had no intention of making any contact with the goalie. I was going for the puck. The decision is made now. I have to look forward.”

“I have been in the league for seven years and I think I have been a clean player…I haven’t had a major penalty or anything.”

Edler received the two-game ban on Friday evening, around 6 p.m. PT.
The Canucks issued a brief statement, not long after the suspension was handed down, saying the club respected the league’s decision but may not agree with it.
The Canucks, without Edler and thanks to strong goaltending from Cory Schneider, defeated the L.A. Kings Saturday by a score of 1-0.
Edler will serve out the remainder of his suspension Sunday, when the Canucks travel to Denver to play the Colorado Avalanche.
Latest Posts
  1. NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight

Mar 4, 2015, 8:49 AM EST

Mats Zuccarello, Danny DeKeyser AP

Erik Cole and Marek Zidlicky are set to debut while Henrik Zetterberg might return from a concussion.

2. Update: Stars’ Daley could miss ‘weeks’ after hit by Isles’ Martin

Mar 3, 2015, 11:02 PM EST

martindaley

The frequent Islanders hitter has two long-ago suspensions.

3. Report: Ben Bishop was hurt during warm-ups

Mar 3, 2015, 9:24 PM EST

Ben Bishop AP

Tough start to Tuesday for goalies.

4. Elias says Devils never approached him about a trade

Mar 3, 2015, 7:29 PM EST

Patrik Elias AP

He says he’s happy to be in New Jersey.

5. WATCH LIVE: Sabres at Lightning

Mar 3, 2015, 6:29 PM EST

Tampa Bay Lightning v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

Could we see an upset or a blowout?

6. Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air

Mar 3, 2015, 5:33 PM EST

Toronto Maple Leafs v Tampa Bay Lightning Getty Images

Incident occurred during TSN’s trade deadline day coverage.

7. Giordano: Surgery is ‘my only option at this point’

Mar 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EST

giordanogetty Getty Images

Flames captain was holding out hope for a “tiny chance” he could keep playing.

8. Yandle ‘can’t find a weak flaw’ in Rangers’ lineup

Mar 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EST

Keith Yandle AP

Making it “pretty cool to be a part of.”

Reactions from NHL trade deadline