Canucks’ Edler: ‘I think I have been a clean player’

Mar 23, 2013, 11:12 PM EDT

Vancouver Canucks v Phoenix Coyotes Getty Images

Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alex Edler spoke publicly for the first time since the National Hockey League handed him a two-game suspension for colliding with Phoenix Coyotes goalie Mike Smith on Thursday.

“Obviously I am disappointed I am suspended,” Edler told the Vancouver Sun on Saturday.

“I had no intention of making any contact with the goalie. I was going for the puck. The decision is made now. I have to look forward.”

“I have been in the league for seven years and I think I have been a clean player…I haven’t had a major penalty or anything.”

Edler received the two-game ban on Friday evening, around 6 p.m. PT.
The Canucks issued a brief statement, not long after the suspension was handed down, saying the club respected the league’s decision but may not agree with it.
The Canucks, without Edler and thanks to strong goaltending from Cory Schneider, defeated the L.A. Kings Saturday by a score of 1-0.
Edler will serve out the remainder of his suspension Sunday, when the Canucks travel to Denver to play the Colorado Avalanche.
  1. dolphincult - Mar 23, 2013 at 11:35 PM

here blow flow….I will post a comment so there is something for you to tag on to and someone to hurl insults at.

2. deezenucks - Mar 24, 2013 at 12:08 AM

You are Edler, no question about that and I don’t miss many Canucks games. It happens, enjoy your break. Tanev has earned some top 4 mins anyways.

3. blomfeld - Mar 24, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Inga Problem Vän !

Du är en utmärkt person Alex och så finns det ingen anledning att be om ursäkt. Du träffar som ‘lögnare’ Smith råkar i huvudet och vad ? Trots att jag är ett fan av LA Kings, jag vill dig väl alltid ! :)

• loinstache - Mar 24, 2013 at 3:34 AM

via google translate:

“No Problem Friend!

You are an excellent person Alex and so there is no need to apologize. You hit like ‘liar’ Smith gets into your head and what? Although I am a fan of the LA Kings, I wish you well always”

very nice blom. I find it hilarious when familiar users call you out while consistently resorting to physical threats and ad hominem displays over a pass time

• blomfeld - Mar 24, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Could Loinstache = Quality ?

I’d say the answer to that is yes! Thank you friend and “no worries” about my electronic detractors here at PHT. As an ardent and values-driven fan of the LA Kings, I will always support “good play” regardless of whatever team that involves. And the fact is that Swedish players like Edler and the Sedin brothers are “quality” people who constantly “value-add” to both the sport and the community at large.

ps: thanks for the Latin lesson, as I’ve just learned a new word today ! :)

An ad hominem (Latin for “to the man” or “to the person”, short for argumentum ad hominem) is an argument made personally against an opponent instead of against their argument. Ad hominem reasoning is normally described as an informal fallacy, or more precisely an irrelevance.

4. interiorfan - Mar 24, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Elder is a clean player. That being said, serve out the suspension and then come back with a vengeance. NHL disciplinary system is one of the great mysteries of life.

Flyers have many concerns