Mar 23, 2013, 2:24 AM EDT
Count Corey Crawford as a member of the goaltending fraternity not in favor of reducing the size of goalie equipment – specifically leg and knee pads.
“Honestly, I don’t think it’s really how many goals are scored that makes the game exciting,” Crawford, the Chicago Blackhawks netminder, told ESPN Chicago on Friday.
“I think it’s the speed and skill, the passing. I think as long as the game is fast, it’ll be exciting. If we get 10-8 hockey games, doesn’t mean it’s going to be an exciting game. Just got to make sure the refs call the hooking and holding penalties and just let the speed of the game continue.”
The topic of reducing the size of goalie equipment was once again a topic of discussion among NHL general managers at their meetings earlier this week.
There were, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun and citing Kay Whitmore, a former NHL goalie who now works with the league’s operations department, two recommendations made: 1) shortening height of goalie pads above the knee, and 2) make sure the knee pads are less bulky and more conforming.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)