Mar 23, 2013, 2:24 AM EDT
Count Corey Crawford as a member of the goaltending fraternity not in favor of reducing the size of goalie equipment – specifically leg and knee pads.
“Honestly, I don’t think it’s really how many goals are scored that makes the game exciting,” Crawford, the Chicago Blackhawks netminder, told ESPN Chicago on Friday.
“I think it’s the speed and skill, the passing. I think as long as the game is fast, it’ll be exciting. If we get 10-8 hockey games, doesn’t mean it’s going to be an exciting game. Just got to make sure the refs call the hooking and holding penalties and just let the speed of the game continue.”
The topic of reducing the size of goalie equipment was once again a topic of discussion among NHL general managers at their meetings earlier this week.
There were, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun and citing Kay Whitmore, a former NHL goalie who now works with the league’s operations department, two recommendations made: 1) shortening height of goalie pads above the knee, and 2) make sure the knee pads are less bulky and more conforming.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 4
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 32
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 35
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)