Mar 23, 2013, 2:24 AM EDT
Count Corey Crawford as a member of the goaltending fraternity not in favor of reducing the size of goalie equipment – specifically leg and knee pads.
“Honestly, I don’t think it’s really how many goals are scored that makes the game exciting,” Crawford, the Chicago Blackhawks netminder, told ESPN Chicago on Friday.
“I think it’s the speed and skill, the passing. I think as long as the game is fast, it’ll be exciting. If we get 10-8 hockey games, doesn’t mean it’s going to be an exciting game. Just got to make sure the refs call the hooking and holding penalties and just let the speed of the game continue.”
The topic of reducing the size of goalie equipment was once again a topic of discussion among NHL general managers at their meetings earlier this week.
There were, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun and citing Kay Whitmore, a former NHL goalie who now works with the league’s operations department, two recommendations made: 1) shortening height of goalie pads above the knee, and 2) make sure the knee pads are less bulky and more conforming.
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 26
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 57
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 5
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte